This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What does "HIE" mean?
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Well for you my revered geekness it is that you and your better half head for a coffee shop and you secretly tell the barrista to have him put a MILKY HEART... in HER mocha latte ! Hey...old friend...I was asked to do...yet again...another anatomy physiology and...yesterday...in the fog...the dean called me and asked if i would go an anatomy and physiology...

WHY IS IT... that OLD DOOFS LIKE US...the administrators ...call on us to clean up the mess of people that the Liberals kept UNinformed...

YOU*...YOU... you old guy...lol...are one of ...the "old guard"...when YOU are gone...WHERE...will DOOFS like me be?

THREE...were given their what...do we have on the web...a bunch of guys...JUST LIKE US...who thought we were invincible...?

YOU...were not..YOU were...ARE...one of "the guard"...I am just a guy locking the bayonet for you who poke holes in the 'guarda' of Microshaft...

I cry,

Comment

Sorry, old friend ... my wife can't partake of caffeine following her 2nd open heart surgery. So, I drink her Dr. Pepper for her!
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Aww...awww...awww...what can one say?
          what can one say... awww...

wood...well... awww

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
            What does "HIE" mean?
            GG I think he (Woodsmoke) is using this definition: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hie
            Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.9.3, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Woodsmoke!!!!

It is good to know that you are still alive! Really.

Also that your style has not changed to conform to the "nattering nabobs of negativism" who would cast your pearls to swine.

Stay with us. You still hold the Chair of the Screaming Ellipsis and Nobody can take that away from you.

TWP
              Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.9.3, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

I say we should all move to tinfoilhat Linux.
                Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

tinfoilhat Linux - Version 0.0.2, Now available in two distros, 10 gauge, for regular, day-to-day usage and 14 gauge for demanding applications which need better protection from malicious attacks and shielding from firmware coding which may only be found years after release. "We Plan Ahead" said the CIO.

Debian Base, offered in both 32 bit and 64 bit releases (future plans call for full 128 bit compiles, as hardware becomes available). Fully multi-threaded and suitable for boards with up to 12 processors.

Coming to a repository near you, real-soon-now.

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
                    Aww...awww...awww...what can one say?
                    what can one say... awww...

wood...well... awww
                    I know, I know. Someone had to make the sacrifice, so I volunteered!

Comment

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
                      GG I think he (Woodsmoke) is using this definition: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hie
                      Thanks, TPK!

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                        CVE-2017-5753 [bounds check bypass] aka 'Spectre Variant 1'
                        * Checking count of LFENCE opcodes in kernel: NO (only 42 opcodes found, should be >= 70)
                        > STATUS: VULNERABLE (heuristic to be improved when official patches become available)

CVE-2017-5715 [branch target injection] aka 'Spectre Variant 2'
                        * Mitigation 1
                        * Hardware (CPU microcode) support for mitigation: YES
                        * Kernel support for IBRS: NO
                        * IBRS enabled for Kernel space: NO
                        * IBRS enabled for User space: NO
                        * Mitigation 2
                        * Kernel compiled with retpoline option: NO
                        * Kernel compiled with a retpoline-aware compiler: NO
                        > STATUS: VULNERABLE (IBRS hardware + kernel support OR kernel with retpoline are needed to mitigate the vulnerability)

CVE-2017-5754 [rogue data cache load] aka 'Meltdown' aka 'Variant 3'
                        * Kernel supports Page Table Isolation (PTI): YES
                        * PTI enabled and active: YES
                        > STATUS: NOT VULNERABLE (PTI mitigates the vulnerability)

A false sense of security is worse than no security at all, see --disclaimer

VINNY
                        That checker scripts is landing in Bionic

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source...checker/0.28-1
                        On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Originally posted by acheron View Post
                          That checker scripts is landing in Bionic

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source...checker/0.28-1
                          same results with that version-0.28

but that is good to know

VINNY
                          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                          16GB RAM
                          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

And here it is as a convenient .deb file: amd64 build of spectre-meltdown-checker 0.28-1 in ubuntu bionic PROPOSED
                            ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                            K*Digest Blog
                            K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

[emoji30]. . As I expected, I am vulnerable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Aren't we all ...
                                The next brick house on the left
                                Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Working...
                                X