This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steam as a Snap officially released to the wild in Beta format

Tested on Solus and Ubuntu, the Linux Steam Integration Snap is released. It's purpose is to be a "Helper for enabling better Steam integration on Linux". There looks to be a lot of improvements all-around, easing known Steam issues with e.g. Unity titles not launching properly and others. Release highlights:

Brief overview of the important changes in this release:
    • Initial snapd support
    • New Unity “black screen of nope” workaround
    • Enhanced vendoring rules
    • New lsi-exec general-purpose binary
    • Massively enhanced shim system

I've always looked at Steam as an ideal candidate for self-containing architectures like Snaps or Flatpaks. Additionally, I'm always impressed with Solus' founder and lead Ikey Doherty.

More info on the release blog post here.
    ​"Keep it between the ditches"
    K*Digest Blog
    K*Digest on Twitter

I do not like "snaps" dont like the hole extra pseudo linux file system installed under / and all the loop devices accessing it and that thay stay mounted even after closing whatever "snap" that was using it .

Appimages now,,,,,I have had good luck with.

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

As a fedora user, only flatpacks & appimages are supported; but I don't care for the way snaps work anyway
      Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Steam as a Snap officially released to the wild in Beta format

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
        I do not like "snaps" dont like the hole extra pseudo linux file system installed under / and all the loop devices accessing it and that thay stay mounted even after closing whatever "snap" that was using it .

Appimages now,,,,,I have had good luck with.

VINNY
        That’s two of us Vinny!
        I tried snap to get Falkon. Noticed 3 loop devices (will it load one for each snap component and app? Seems so)
        Used the “sudo snap remove x” command to uninstall falkon and KDE-something5 and then “sudo apt purge snaps” to uninstall snap and core and the three loop devices.
        AppImage doesn’t run daemons or processes when no image is being run, it doesn’t take special commands to use the images. No sudo required. Just delete the image and all traces are gone. Currently have 5 images
        Will use it over repository for all except system maintenance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
        X