X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you can't lick'm then join'm

http://www.zdnet.com/article/ubuntu-...tag=RSSbaffb68
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Well, I personally don't have any issue with a company; any company; wanting to make money: to be profitable in their ventures. Mark Shuttleworth can't continue providing the lions share (does he still?) of his own wealth to keep Canonical viable (re: enough capital to operate). Partnering with Microsoft may seem oxy-moronic to most (of us), especially in light of the ideals behind FOSS, but busines isn't altruistic; it wants to thrive and grow.

I think Kubuntu will continue. It has staying power.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Free energy and world peace just aren't profitable ventures. You really MUST get with the fascist program. It's not a choice. Economic terrorism is perfect legal.

Comment

The future is before you, are you ready?

From the referenced article:
        "More GE/Canonical products will be coming. One, a prize winner from Canonical and GE's FirstBuild "Hack the Home" hackathon, may be he Crockwatch, a smart crockpot. "...

Image of people walking around with a crockpot strapped to their wrist...

The Crockwatch says, in the voice of Siri:

"Proceed to the refrigerator and remove your daily food ration from the freezer compartment. You have not paid the power bill for today, please make payment before cooking is allowed."
        Last edited by TWPonKubuntu; Jun 28, 2015, 12:30 PM. Reason: humor me
        Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.10.2, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

"Internet of Things" scares the hell out of me. Why? Because very few people will think about security until it's too late.

Comment

+1
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
              Well, I personally don't have any issue with a company; any company; wanting to make money: to be profitable in their ventures. Mark Shuttleworth can't continue providing the lions share (does he still?) of his own wealth to keep Canonical viable (re: enough capital to operate). Partnering with Microsoft may seem oxy-moronic to most (of us), especially in light of the ideals behind FOSS, but busines isn't altruistic; it wants to thrive and grow.

I think Kubuntu will continue. It has staying power.
              I don't either. The link reveals that Microsoft and Canonicl have conceded to each other their respective strengths. Neither side really "won".

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                "Internet of Things" scares the hell out of me
                Can we say "Sky Net?"
                Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                  Can we say "Sky Net?"
                  +1

Comment

Working...
                  X