This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[KDE] KDE has rekindled my linux passion! >:D

Ahem. (This is really a KDE testimonial, but I think that's still ok, right?) I've been using debian-based distros, mostly ubuntu and mint for about 10 years now. I've never really used KDE though. I tried it a few times but didn't give it much time. Recently I've found myself kind of frustrated with the current DE offerings. I was using MATE, then Cinnamon for a while, but nothing really was what I wanted.

Then it happened. I installed Mint 17 KDE editon. It immediately felt awesome. I was like, WOW. So I spent a couple days customizing and it was great. There are so many things I like I really dont even want to start listing them. It seems like KDE has been working really hard to become a modern desktop environment and I really dig it.

I'm not an IT professional, I just use linux on my computers and learn as a hobby mostly, but I had been feeling kind of dull lately. KDE literally got me to feel some passion again. So that's great.

I'm having a really good time learning about it and I'm really excited for new stuff. I'm using Mint 17 right now, which uses KDE 4.12 i believe, but using kubuntu in the future isnt out of the question. Ive been using ubuntu and mint for a loong time. well i just wanted to say how much im enjoying KDE on the ubuntu platform.

Welcome to the forum!

There is nothing wrong with using Mint, it's a great distro! Even greater using KDE as the DE.

We share the same opinion on KDE!
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by piggah View Post
      well i just wanted to say how much im enjoying KDE on the ubuntu platform.
      you should give Kubuntu a go then ,,,,,,after all thats what we are , KDE on the Ubuntu base.

@hear on Kubuntu-14.04LTS im at KDE-4.13.3 ,,,,,,,,I,v been likeing/using KDE since 3.5

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Welcome. Nice commentary. We like Kubuntu Linux a lot. But we aren't prudes. If anyone joins us, but is using another KDE-centric distro, they are just as welcome.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

piggah:

I've been using KDE for the whole of my Linux lifetime (about 13 years now), with the last 10 or so being single boot Linux. I started with Xandros (now defunct), which was, in many ways, a "beginner's" distro. I did try Mint KDE for a while, but found too many 'tweaks' in the distro that I didn't personally like, and which took me too long to 'undo'. However, with that said, it is a good distro, being based on Ubuntu, which in turn is based on Debian, as you note (as was Xandros as well).

I tried Ubuntu/Gnome, but never got comfortable with it. I found it limiting with regard to how I wanted to set up my desktop. For example, KDE allows different wallpapers for each desktop. AFAIK, it is the only major DE that does. I 'color code' my desktops, using the same wallpaper for each, but color shifting them for blue, green, yellow, pink/red, orange, and purple. I like the visual cue that this gives. Each of my 6 desktops has a different function, from Online, to Text, to File, to virtual machines, to graphics to miscellaneous.

KDE seems to be almost infinitely adjustable. There is almost nothing that a person could want to do that KDE cannot do. This is both its strength, and its downfall, depending on who you are, and what your needs are. With the flexibility comes some complexity. However, I learned only enough to get it to do what _I_ wanted, and I've been happy with that.

Welcome to the forum!

Frank.
          Linux: Powerful, open, elegant. Its all I use.

Comment

I remember Xandros!! They had a free version and a bu$ine$$ version, IIRC.
            I began using KDE when SuSE 5.3 with KDE 1.0 beta in Sept 1998. Every distro I've used since then was because it had the latest release of KDE. I've stuck with Kubuntu since finding it in Jan of 2009 because 1) it is a Ubuntu/Debian based (deb) distro that 2) keeps on the front edge of a stable KDE desktop.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
            X