This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Introducing a new graphical installer

Whilst reading through the blog of another distribution that I love, Manjaro, I came across the news that their new graphical installer called Calamares is getting ready to be released in their upcoming 0.9.0 release.

From their blog.
    Some of you might already noticed that some of our developers started in September last year to work on our next release series we call Bellatrix (0.9.0). With this series we switch over to a more modern graphical installer framework called Calamares.

The new, Qt5/python3 based installer is a joint effort of several distributions. In May 2014, developers of Netrunnner, KaOS and Manjaro got together to discuss the possibility to work jointly on a brand new, Qt5 based installer. The idea was born to create Calamares. By June the coding started and by September a first, raw usable version was put into testing for XFCE based ISOs. Currently, Calamares is being developed with contributions from BBQLinux, Fedora, KaOS, Kubuntu, Manjaro, Maui and Netrunner.

Calamares is an installer framework, entirely modular. Being that modular shows on this ISO, since it uses about 10 % of the modules that are Manjaro specific, but all stays entirely integrated. Please understand though, Calamares is not at a stable version yet, it is at beta stage, and certain parts are not implemented yet.

Beside the new installer we updated Pacman to 4.2 series. To match libalpm changes we introduced Pamac 2.1 series. It took us some weeks and effort to make it a smooth transition.

This release comes with XFCE 4.11 series, linux318 kernel series and all the usual Manjaro and upstream updates. Stable branch was used to create these install medias. Please give us feedback and report any issues with this release.

kind regards

Philip Müller Manjaro Development Team
    Now I knew that it is currently being developed by several distributions but I was surprised to read that there had been contributions to the new installer from Kubuntu. I wonder if this means that the team behind Kubuntu are thinking of including it in a future version?

Squid ? 15.10, 16.04...

http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2014/12/22...el.html#t12:42

Comment

So, if I read that right, the appearance of the Calamaries UI in Kubuntu really depends on the Debian devs adopting it. It looks like someone on their team already has: https://github.com/calamares/calamares-debian
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thnak goodness. It can't be any worse than the piece-of-shiz that Ubiquity has been for years.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
          Thnak goodness. It can't be any worse than the piece-of-shiz that Ubiquity has been for years.
          LMFAO ,,,,,,, I actually liked the old text based installers .

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I used the text based installer to install from 11.10 all the way to 13.04 because Ubiquity confused my partition tables so badly I was concerned I would wipe out the wrong partition or even drive. From what I read in the bug reports, the primary maintainer is obstructionist and pugnacious .

Latest is they broke btrfs support in certain instances from 14.04 to 14.10. When a bug was filed, the maintainer spent more time arguing about btrfs than addressing the actual bug. I don't even bother filing bugs against it anymore. It's worse than network manager was 2 years ago. I tried today to install 14.10 to bare metal on a btrfs filesystem and Ubiquity can't even see existing btrfs filesystems. I gave up...

Please Read Me

Comment

Latest is they broke btrfs support in certain instances from 14.04 to 14.10. When a bug was filed, the maintainer spent more time arguing about btrfs than addressing the actual bug. I don't even bother filing bugs against it anymore. It's worse than network manager was 2 years ago. I tried today to install 14.10 to bare metal on a btrfs filesystem and Ubiquity can't even see existing btrfs filesystems. I gave up...
              that is awful ,,,,,,as wile booting ,right after Grub my system pauses for a sec, ,,,,,,,get this,,,,,,,,"scanning for btrfs file systems"
              so if the grub or system we use is going to scan for btrfs file systems ,,,why O why dose not our installer .

makes no sense.

but hay wile im thinking of it ,,,,,and in the habit of going off topic ,,,,he he ,,,,,,,did I not hear/read you say/type that one can convert a ext4 to btrfs and do you loose your data in the process?

VINNY
              16GB RAM

Comment

Ya know........calamare...........in Nassau last cycle............just after Sean was there..............

1 part your choice gin lol
                4 parts island choice cocanut milk........really.......guaranteed fresh they use a liberal politically incorrect machete to chop the nug........

ummmm dancing........

ummmmmm... more dancing...........

and.......a little gin.....

it is called SKYJUICE!! lol

honkin good!!

Comment

Ahhh, leave it to Woodsmoker to move the thread into Caribbean Cocktails! Not a bad thing, btw...

Vinny: Yes, according to Oracle you can convert without data loss, but I've never tried it. Next time I'm playing around with partitions I might give it a test. Looks like a simple procedure: Run fsck on the ex2/3/4 partition; run btrfs-convert; change fstab; done. They did say you have to have to extN filesystem unmounted, but you'd have to do that to run fsck on it anyway.

Please Read Me

Comment

I have a correction: Ubiquity will install to btrfs partitions, but not whole drive filesystems.

To those unfamilar with btrfs; It is capable of residing on an entire hard drive without a partition table. However, in this configuration AFAIK you cannot install grub to the drive.

Please Read Me

Comment

Soooooo this drive would be good to convert ,,,,,, as of now their is 830GB free on it

Code:
                      Model: ATA HGST HTS721010A9 (scsi)
                      Disk /dev/sdb: 1000GB
                      Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
                      [COLOR=#ff0000]Partition Table: gpt[/COLOR]

Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Name     Flags
                       1      1049kB  1000GB  1000GB  ext4         primary
                      gpt partition tabel .........

O and when you do an install to a btrfs sub volume will Ubiquity let you install grub to the sub-volume ,,,,,, like when you dont want to over write you mane grub install now ?

VINNY
                      16GB RAM

Comment

Ubiquity will automatically install the system to "@" and home to "@home". Although not required, the standard practice when creating subvolumes is to begin their names with the @ symbol. Here's my post on how to install more than one distro to the same btrfs filesystem:

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...ighlight=btrfs

Are you going to try the conversion? Let me know how it goes! We should probably start a new thread....

Please Read Me

Comment

Ubiquity will automatically install the system to "@" and home to "@home". Although not required, the standard practice when creating subvolumes is to begin their names with the @ symbol. Here's my post on how to install more than one distro to the same btrfs filesystem:

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...ighlight=btrfs

Are you going to try the conversion? Let me know how it goes! We should probably start a new thread....
                          I am seriously considering it , it seems so dam flexible , as of now I would only half to change the fstab's in the 2 Kubuntu installs (and redo the links to their ~/directories ) to get my data back as it should be ,I guess ,??
                          and prob not till this weekend after having a chance to read as much as I can on all this so I at least Know some what , what I am doing

I am sure I will be running to you for help before it is right

I will start a thread on "converting ext4 to btrfs" Thursday or Friday (or you can) and we will collaborate further from their .

must keep up with the times , I guess ,,,,,,,,,, and I'm due for some extra Geeky fun

VINNY
                          16GB RAM

Comment

Back to Calamares

https://planetkde.org/ --> http://teom.org/blog/kde/sometimes-y...ent-the-wheel/

Sometimes you need to reinvent the wheel

On behalf of the Calamares team and Blue Systems, I am proud to announce the immediate availability of Calamares 1.0.

Calamares is a distribution independent installer framework...

...Calamares is built with Qt 5, C++11, Boost.Python, (bits of) KDE Frameworks 5 and KDE Partition Manager...

Comment

You beat me to it!

The Calamares team and Blue Systems are proud to announce the immediate availability of Calamares 1.0.

Calamares is a distribution independent installer framework. The initial idea for Calamares popped up in May 2014, less than a year ago, and out of frustration: many successful independent Linux distributions came with lackluster installers, and all of these installers were a result of competition rather than cooperation. Improving one of the existing installers wouldn’t have fixed this, as every installer was more or less distribution specific. We wanted to create a product that would satisfy the requirements of most Linux distributions, developed as an upstream project for all of them.

With support from Blue Systems, we started from scratch around June 2014, with a highly modular design and some valuable contributions from KaOS, Manjaro, Maui and Netrunner developers. Contributors from Fedora, BBQLinux, OpenMandriva and the KDE Visual Design Group joined in afterwards.

Now, a little over half a year of design and development frenzy later, we choose to call it 1.0. While there is still room for improvement, we have decided that the first development iteration is done, and we are presenting a modest yet feature-complete product.

Feature highlights include:

a completely modular design, with three plugin interfaces: C++, Python and generic process;
                              a threaded job executor, with C++ and Python API;
                              a collection of over 25 modules, ranging from boot loader support to partitioning, to user management and much more, with the opportunity of deploying your own;
                              a self-contained branding component mechanism, which allows distributions to ship a consistent user experience without patching;
                              an advanced partitioning tool, with automation and resize functionality and both DOS and GPT partition table support.

While Calamares 1.0 is production ready, it does have known and unknown bugs. If you are a distribution maintainer and wish to deploy Calamares as your distribution’s installer, feel free to join #calamares on Freenode and we would be happy to help you get started.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X