This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ubuntu phone to be released

For those of you waiting for the release of the Ubuntu phone I have good news for you, the first one is to be released within the first 2 weeks of February 2015 in Europe.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2014/12/b...-this-february

It'll be interesting to see how well this is received. I fear, however that the specs may turn away the audience, described as "hesitant developers and enthusiasts." A Coretex A7 CPU and a 960 x 540 LCD? Weak.

Comment

See the unboxing of the first Ubuntu phone

Now you have seen it, is it making you want one?

Comment

The specs are pretty aweful. Its sad that my two year old phone wipes the floor with a brand new Ubuntu phone.

Ubuntu phone specs
        Screen: 4.5″ qHD (960×540)

Camera: 5MP Fixed Focus+13MP Autofocus Dual Flash

SIM: Dual micro sim

Battery: 2150mAh

Connectivity: GSM/GPRS/EDGE/WCDMA/HSPA+

CPU: Quad A7/1.3GHz

RAM: 1GB

The battery kind of sucks, the RAM is low, and the CPU is almost laughable these days. Why did Shuttleworth let his precious Ubuntu phone OS get its debut release on such a mediocre phone?

Comment

Originally posted by NickStone View Post
          Now you have seen it, is it making you want one?
          Outdated hardware from unknown manufacturer, with prototype beta quality software (at best) with crappy UI and no apps from company that has a bad history of user privacy violations, only available through idiotic marketing hoops?

I'm so tempted.

(Well, it's pretty much the same as all the other phones....which is why I still use my N900)

Comment

Yeah, I agree with the above. Although, honesty, for me - the average android phone hardware has reached the point where I no longer push it's limits. My daughter's $170 Moto G works very well on rather light specs. Obviously, the problem is as Android gets larger and more complex, ram and cpu will start to become factors again. To the Ubuntu phone: I would love to have IF it had more to offer than a standard 'Droid model - this one doesn't that I can see. I was a purchaser of the Ubuntu Edge phone on Indegogo at $630, but they failed to raise enough to start the project. Now THAT phone had specs! Sapphire screen instead of glass - What?

Mark must be trying to make some money by pointing to the lower end of the market. I can only presume he's aware of the Jolla phone already available running Linux with a really neat interface.

Please Read Me

Comment

Are we forgetting Meizu?

http://www.gsmarena.com/meizu_may_br...news-11203.php

We'll have to see what they decide to announce.

Comment

Too bad the Meizu also doesn't support 4g LTE in the US - not at least with the specs released in Dec.

We all realize we don't have access to all these phones because we've allowed businesses to control the entire marketplace, right? Why doesn't the FCC control the radio waves anymore?

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                  Too bad the Meizu also doesn't support 4g LTE in the US - not at least with the specs released in Dec.

We all realize we don't have access to all these phones because we've allowed businesses to control the entire marketplace, right? Why doesn't the FCC control the radio waves anymore?

<snerk>

Seriously, Vbulletin? The above, highly useful, relevant, and far over the 2 character minimum length post is seen as less than 2 characters. Must be a Librel cunspurrassy. Or I forgot to use up more of the precious dots that will run out some day

Comment

Um, did you snerk at me? I think that's a violation of forum policy! LOL

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                      Um, did you snerk at me? I think that's a violation of forum policy! LOL

Comment

Working...
                      X