This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu is the best OS and KDE !!

Well I'm a new Android Developer and I needed to find something that fit my personality and my creativity. I did OSX for awhile but got so bored and was so unhappy. Kubuntu 14.04 with KDE is just so beautiful and since I'm a tron fan that my desktop and workspace are tron lol. The effects are just amazing with 2 monitors and it just flows for development! I'm so happy with KDE that when I get the time I'll give some time towards the KDE community. Just wanted to say my thoughts and hope I posted this in the right forum.

Thank you for the kind words, I hope the lurking developers read this.
    Because I agree with you KDE and thus Kubuntu is one of the finest computer environments available.

If time permits, see if you can help out with KDE Connect, a recent and very nice application to make Android and KDE communicate.

Comment

Yea I use that app for my S5 and agreed. I'd love to add more features that blend the Android environment with the Linux desktop. I use to be a hard core Mac guy but always keep going back to linux. I have been running Kubuntu for 3 months and I'm actually so happy when I sit down at my desktop. I'm a geek lol I just love technology that allows modifying to your style. My dell is my main desktop and a MacBook pro 2011 is my linux laptop with Kubuntu as well. I was a primary ios development but Android and Linux lured me so to speak. I will still develop for iOS and Windows but Android is primary.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Comment

The FORCE is strong in that one!
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Comment

True words

Comment

great post!

sometimes this needs to be said out loud lol

the other thing is,
              Unity: what the frak is that supposed to be? it's so horrible to use, its like something made by microsoft
              Gnome I dont mind but KDE is way better.
              Cinnamon I found a little buggy and lots of crashes-> very frequen crashes with proprietary ati driver on my laptop, fixed by installing open source drivers..
              Last edited by millusions; Sep 12, 2014, 07:59 PM. Reason: more
              K 14.4 64 AMD 955be3200MHz 8GB 1866Mhz 6TB Plex/samba.etc.+ Macbook Air 13".

Comment

Nice thread linuxboy, I was just coming in here to say the same thing myself. I find this distro and KDE to be so stable, functional and good looking that I can not even believe it is free. I love it, are there T shirts for sale?

Actually I have donated to kde and related projects many times but it still does not cost as much as running windows or the hardware cost of OSX.

Comment

Back to Linux again....

KDE was always the best looking desktop and I always built my own kernels and integrated KDE as the UI but I was wary of changing my Vaio from Windows 8 to Linux this time as there is no going back easily if things headed south (with a machine that is OEM loaded with Windows 8). It was with great trepidation that I finally told myself that leaving PhotoImpact behind was my only "con" and made the switch to Xubuntu which has been getting rave reviews. I set up an encrypted filesystem on install and everything went extremely smoothly as I gave it open slather on my hard disk partitions (which somehow Sony had 9 thereof!!!)
                  The resultant Xubuntu install was indeed very simple and rock solid - installing apps was a breeze, but nothing really looked that enticing- the desktop was flat and without life... the app launcher was simple and without any niceties. long story short I knew I should have gone to a KDE desktop. Kubuntu was just as easy to install (except the encrypted filesystem which I don't need anyway) and after installing it the wealth of information and apps that have appeared in the last six years is great to see. The old apps I was used to seem to have finally come-of-age and are very usable. There seems to be so much to choose from it will take a while to work it all out (and learn how to use Gimp in place of PhotoImpact of course).
                  The only thing I see that is lacking is a simple font management interface. Some might like editing configuration fiiiles but like I have always said - The delight of a great cup of brewed coffee is in the drinking, not the preparation.
                  Cheers, another Windows convert

Comment

Kubuntu is the best OS and KDE
                    Sounds like you've never used DOS.

DOS is the best OS

Comment

Originally posted by NickStone View Post

DOS is the best OS
                      dude, you promised you wont be smoking that stuff no more!
                      K 14.4 64 AMD 955be3200MHz 8GB 1866Mhz 6TB Plex/samba.etc.+ Macbook Air 13".

Comment

DOS is the best OS
                        I first used NewDOS80... anyone remember that?

Comment

Originally posted by millusions View Post
                          dude, you promised you wont be smoking that stuff no more!
                          Sorry can't help it, DOS is in my DNA

@christw I'm assuming that came out in 1980, I was 11 year then and not yet discovered computers.

Comment

Sorry can't help it, DOS is in my DNA

@christw I'm assuming that came out in 1980, I was 11 year then and not yet discovered computers.
                            Yes... NewDOS80 was the DOS that came out for the "TRS-80" in U.S. and the Dick Smith "System 80" in Australia. I began using it in 1981 when I got my first 5.25" Floppy Disk Drive worth $330.00 at the time. I had also upgraded my RAM to a massive 32kB from the standard 16kB lol

Comment

Originally posted by christw View Post
                              Yes... NewDOS80 was the DOS that came out for the "TRS-80" in U.S. and the Dick Smith "System 80" in Australia. I began using it in 1981 when I got my first 5.25" Floppy Disk Drive worth $330.00 at the time. I had also upgraded my RAM to a massive 32kB from the standard 16kB lol
                              You were privilaged to have 32KB, the very first computer I had was a Sinclair ZX81 with 1KB which was expandible to a whole 16KB. The only thing you could do with it was write code. It was the Raspberry Pi of its day.
                              Last edited by Guest; Sep 13, 2014, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X