This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FIFA world cup 2014 Brazil

I'm just writing to ask if anyone in Kubuntu land is watching the world cup and what do you think of the games have been played? What team do you think will win the tournament?

It'd day 4 of the tournament and one thing that I am surprised about is that there has not yet been any games that have ended in a draw. I also enjoyed the Netherlands hammering Spain 5 - 1 (did not expect scoreline). Was disapointed with England losing to Italy 2 - 1 (but not surprised).

Personally I think Argentina will win it this year, although I haven't seen them play yet (they're about to kick off in about 10 minutes).

Shame about the blatant dive in the Brazil - Croatia game. Football at this level needs assistant referees able to review video, IMO.
    Regards, John Little

Comment

I posted on the Crunchbang forum last saturday, Germany will win the Cup...
      Beware the Almighty Command Line

Comment

Originally posted by MepisReign View Post
        I posted on the Crunchbang forum last saturday, Germany will win the Cup...
        I see this thread isn't getting much chatter but for what it's worth, you certainly seem prophetic today. Sheesh, who was that team that showed up in place of anyone from Brazil who's ever played the game before?

Comment

Was Brazil at that game!?!? Couldn't tell!

Comment

Overall I really enjoyed the World Cup. England's performance left a lot to be desired, but then every time England play in a World Cup or European championships we seem to think that because we invented the sport that we should win these competitions. Also if you look at previous England teams they seem to be made up of one exceptional player surrounding by some mediocre players and still expect to win. Take a team like Germany, they have players that can and do play as a team, even the USA team played as a team and did quite well.

Even before the 7 - 1 thrashing of Brazil by Germany, Brazil were not the team that could seriously challenge for the cup. Argentina was the team that I predicted to win it and during the group stages played quite well, but the semi-final and then the final they simply didn't play as well.

Comment

Have never really watched the World Cup before but for some reason this year I did. I have to say it was enjoyable!

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise View Post
                Have never really watched the World Cup before but for some reason this year I did. I have to say it was enjoyable!
                Has it made you in to a "footy fan" now? lol

Comment

I wouldn't say fanatically but it would be something I could get more into watching.

Comment

To an outsider it looks like a bunch of men running chaotically back and forth and up and down the field.

And, using their heads to hit the ball? What percentage of soccer players end up with brain damage?
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                      To an outsider it looks like a bunch of men running chaotically back and forth and up and down the field.

And, using their heads to hit the ball? What percentage of soccer players end up with brain damage?
                      A bunch of men running up and down a field. Sounds very similar to American football.

Soccer players getting brain damage? With some players such as Wayne Rooney you wouldn't be able to tell if they get brain damage from heading a football, but seriously the number of footballers who developed brain damage over the decades is negligible.

Comment

Originally posted by NickStone View Post
                        Also if you look at previous England teams they seem to be made up of one exceptional player surrounding by some mediocre players and still expect to win.
                        On the rare occasion that the England squad has more than one exceptional player(*), they do OK.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1966_FI...#.C2.A0England

* Full disclosure: I'm no football expert - or even much of a fan - but I feel on fairly safe ground when I can boil things down to numbers, so I'll shout out to Bobby Charlton (most goals scored for England) and Jimmy Greaves (highest ratio of goals scored per England appearance in the last 50 years, and when he wasn't scoring them himself he was setting a team-mate up to score).
                        Last edited by HalationEffect; Jul 19, 2014, 03:44 AM.
                        sigpic
                        "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
                        -- Douglas Adams

Comment

A bunch of men running up and down a field. Sounds very similar to American football.
                          Actually, the two games are entirely different. American football is not continuous action (except for penalty shots, time outs) from start to finish. The action takes place in what are called "downs". Four downs without gaining 10 yards and the ball switches hands. etc. etc. etc. In AF the quarterback, receivers and running backs have better chances of becoming "stars", especially the qb. In soccer, any player has an equal chance of standing out if they are good enough.
                          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                            Actually, the two games are entirely different. American football is not continuous action (except for penalty shots, time outs) from start to finish. The action takes place in what are called "downs". Four downs without gaining 10 yards and the ball switches hands. etc. etc. etc. In AF the quarterback, receivers and running backs have better chances of becoming "stars", especially the qb. In soccer, any player has an equal chance of standing out if they are good enough.
                            Yes I agree that the two sports are different, American football is based on rugby.

Also in football (soccer) it is the players that can score the goals that are usually the stars, if a player can score a lot of goals in a season on a regular basis regardless of what position they play they usually become stars. Take David Beckham (no please take him), most of his goals come from free-kicks (dead ball situations) and he can pass the ball to another player from one end of the pitch to the other with accuracy but cannot tackle or run in to position to get on the end of a cross to score. And yet he has become a star in football.

Comment

... but cannot tackle ...

How does one "tackle" in soccer if there is not a ball carrier?

Comment

Working...
                              X