This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Munich Ditches Microsoft

This was the article of the month for me as I read today about Munich ditching Microsoft both on G+ and in the Kubuntu Community Blog. Some things that caught my attention the most were the facts that Munich did not choose a German based distribution but instead chose to go with Ubuntu for a base, Microsoft was willing to slash pricing down to almost nothing to keep them on their system (or off of Linux) and the long term benefits for Munich to be open source rather than proprietary were so great they were willing to spend years in transitioning their infrastructure as well as deal with the annoying incompatibility issues we encounter when trying to work between the two systems.

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/...t-of-the-city/
    Last edited by Roguehorse; Nov 19, 2013, 07:17 PM.
    BSIT Software Engineering
    " All the best people I know use Linux "

Very interesting article.

For some reason it called to my somewhat enfeebled mind that the Amiga was proposed to be used in the Los Angeles Olympics to "do" the light and sound coordination.

Apparently the "bankers" that were financing the games said no-no, if it does not have the holy words IBM on it we don't want it near the place.

Well, the IBM couldn't handle the load and collapsed somewhat prior to the Olympics itself so the developers put Amigas in cases below the IBMs ran the IBM cables into the cases and left them unplugged while the Amigas did the work and banks ....knew nothing.

At least that was what was in the "black and white paper" Amiga News and C-64 mags said.

Of course PC Compute! , where the only C-64 adverts were, shut down coverage of the c-64 as a "corporate decision" and the C-64 disappeared in the space of a couple of months.

But.... kind of a parallel.

woodsmoke

Comment

After I read this I couldn't recall the Amiga so I had to look it up. I knew I had heard the name before but, for the life of me couldn't place it. Good story.

I can't seem to find anything on the web though to support it. Can you throw out a link?
      BSIT Software Engineering
      " All the best people I know use Linux "

Comment

Working...
      X