X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello

Greetings people.

Seeing as I'm new here I guess introductions are in order, or at least it would be the civilised thing to do before asking lots of questions.

I'm a long time user of Linux and also FreeBSD on many a server since 1996 but I started seriously with Linux as a desktop OS when Ubuntu 5.04 was released (sorry forgotten which year that was now!). It was the first distro to really get everything together and it worked really well. I promptly switched to Kubuntu when it first came out and have switched distros many times since, but eventually gave it up (as my desktopOS) because the only game I really love to play in my spare time (Empire Earth from Sierra, yes I know it's ancient but I still play it after many many years) will only run under Windows, and when Windows7 came out I was able to run all my opensource/free apps on it and my game, and quite frankly it's a really good stable OS (first time ever from Redmond) in my opinion, so dual booting seemed unnecessary and I simply dropped out. Although my personal server still runs (and always will run) a version of Linux - currently it's running Kubuntu 12.04 LTS and going extremely well thankyou very much.

I learnt recently that Steam had released their client for Linux and was extremely excited to give it a go. I got it working perfectly under Kubuntu 12.04 LTS, but then I decided I wanted to try 13.10 because it looks so pretty and ran into a video driver problem.

Welcome to KFN GrumpyGit.
    Last edited by Snowhog; Nov 10, 2013, 11:00 AM.
    Linux User #454271

Comment

Welcome, congrats on your choice of distribution and place to find info

Comment

Welcome! I'm pretty new here and love it, it's a great community, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do and stick around.

As for help with questions, from the sound of things you're more likely to be answering mine! Luckily there are lots of very helpful and experienced users lurking about, I'm sure they'll have all the answers as usual!

Feathers
        samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Welcome, GrumpGit! Running Win7 is no crime, and there are a LOT of knowledable folks on this forum that can help with problems on Windows.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

welcome GrumpyGit !

woodsmoke

Comment

Yay, fresh meat

Comment

Welcome to the forums! (BTW we're ALL crazy here
                ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                K*Digest Blog
                K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by dequire View Post
                  Welcome to the forums! (BTW we're ALL crazy here
                  Hmph! I am NOT crazy!
                  Deranged, yes, but not crazy, I tell you!

Sent from my dlx using Tapatalk

Comment

I am as sane as the next guy here! Of course it is relative.
                    Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
                    Always consider Occam's Razor
                    Rich

Comment

They say that 1 out of every 3 people are crazy. Look at your two best friends. If they seem normal ....
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                        They say that 1 out of every 3 people are crazy. Look at your two best friends. If they seem normal ....
                        Thank goodness I count some forum members among my friends!

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                          Thank goodness I count some forum members among my friends!
                          What?! Are you crazy!!
                          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I resemble that remark!

Comment

...and we're off topic already haha

Classic KFN!
                              samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X