This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WOW! WinDOHS 8.1 'upgrade' is 3.5GB!!!

Not only that, a small biz with 20 machines has to download it for EVERY machine, yeesh. Those poor souls that installed the 'preview' have it worse, the article here.

Jesus...I do not miss Windows updates, thats for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
      Jesus...I do not miss Windows updates, thats for sure.
      Ycheah, me too! Then: Now:

Comment

The 8.0 ISO is approximately the same size. 8.1 is a complete replacement of the operating system. The component-based servicing model places compressed files containing the full operating system onto the hard drive to make recovery easier. Not a bad design choice, really.

I do disagree with the requirement that each PC must download the update individually. The license police are out of control.

Comment

@Schtevie...this seems to be a trend with them, release a piece of junk (keeping the description 'clean', lol), wait for the bugs and complaints to pour in, then 'fix' it. At least this wasn't a repeat of the Vista/7 fiasco, they got to sell 2 SKU's for that debacle, maybe they are learning, lol.

Comment

I just upgraded the wifie-poo units laptop from 8.0 to 8.1. Notice that I used the word upgraded. It ended up being a re-install, which borked her previous setup. If I had known that I was going to screw up her setup, I would have left her on 8.0, or downgraded her to Win7.
            I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

I recently had to upgrade all 16 of the computers used by the non-profit I volunteer for to W7 from XP. These computers are used to provide tax preparation. I am happy I did not have to download but one copy of an image file provided by the national headquarters of the organization to do this. There are only a few different computers used in the program so the image file included all of drivers necessary for all of the different computers. The serial numbers of all of these computers are maintained in a data base. To protect the licensing each of the computers calls home during the installation to verify that it is in the data base. If it is, the installation proceeds, if not it stops.

Could not an organization with many W8.0 computers use something similar? If all of the computers are identical, could they not upgrade one, then create an image file to use on all the others?

Comment

More on the subject.
                http://www.itnews.com/desktop-pcs/68...ily_2013-10-21

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate View Post
                  Thanks for posting and I'm not surprised.

Comment

This is turning out to be a major debacle. I'm on some listservs frequented by several acquaintances from my Microsoft days; everyone is griping about the requirement to download the ISO from the store.

Comment

Working...
                    X