Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Launchpad now charging fees for contributors...!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Launchpad now charging fees for contributors...!

http://ograblog.wordpress.com/2013/0...u-engineering/

Ubuntu development will be split out into its own company under the umbrella of the Ubuntu Foundation. The new company will be called “Ubuntu Engineering Ltd.” and will be seeking a listing at worldwide stock markets within the next 5 years.

To make developing Ubuntu a more a more profitable thing for you as a developer and volunteer we worked out a new upload concept which is just being put into place on launchpad right now.

* Each upload of a source package will be charged to your launchpad account with €0.05 (we picked the Euro here simply because it is the more stable currency).
    * For each successful build on one of the Ubuntu architectures (currently i386, amd64, armhf and powerpc) you will get refunded with €0.01 per successfully built binary. An FTBFS (build failure) on any of these architectures will cost €0.02.
    * We are still in discussion with the debian project about the chargement for package syncs from debian and are confident we will come to a conclusion with the DPL very soon (since syncs cost so much more we will likely be charging slightly more than for a source package upload that goes directly into Ubuntu. Charging costs will likely be handled inside debian directly)
    * The refunds will immediately be turned into stock options at €1.00 per 1% of an Ubuntu Engineering stock or (at your choice) into 0.5% of an album download from the UbuntuOne Music store.
    But wait, there's more:

If you are a bug Triager you won’t be left out! In agreement with the Ubuntu bug control team a similar yet to be fully defined set of features will also be put in place for bug triage. The same goes for blueprints where the refunding concept is already a bit more progressed (an accepted blueprint will cost €5.00, each fulfilled Work Item will be refunded with €0.01 in stock options or (at your choice) into 0.01% of an album download from the UbuntuOne Music store).
    So disheartening.

I wonder on what date that was posted?

Comment

Uhhhh...damn. Didn't even think of that!

/me is p0wn3d by this paragraph I missed:

In case you have any unanswered questions we will do our best to leave it like this if you mail our mailing list under: “Ubuntu Engineering Ltd.” ubuntu-april-1st@conanical.com
      Serves me right for reading stuff too fast while packing for a trip!
      Last edited by SteveRiley; Apr 01, 2013, 11:37 AM.

Comment

I hope you emailed them! Maybe they'll compile and publish the contents of everyone that responded before reading the calendar

Please Read Me

Comment

LOL nah, fortunately I didn't do that. In fact, I'd just as soon delete this entire thread. But that would be abusing my admin powers. So I shall allow my dufus-ness to stand

Comment

LOLOLOL roflmao. We will not delete this, heck I may stickie it

Don't worry you aren't the only one who got bitten, someone on the -devel (or was it Kubuntu-users?) List didn't catch it either .......

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

In first saw it on -devel. But didn't realize Rohan's reply was an attempt to make people notice the date! :facepalm:

I am now going to drown my sorrows in a steady stream of gin tonics on the flight down to SFO. Later, dudez.

Comment

And now some more pranks...
                The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

Lol

Comment

What tripped my suspicion was the thing about why they had chosen the Euro as currency of choice
                    It's something you just can't expect from a UK-based company that claims they want to float shares.

Comment

Working...
                    X