This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A search, in which I learn I am losing my mind

So I became curious about the experiences others might have had when running Windows 8 in a virtual machine. Since my VM engine of choice is VMware player, I naturally went to Teh Googelz, from whom I implored the provision of a list of search results for said OS in said VM. Imagine my surprise when this item appeared in the top of my search results!

LOLwut? And then I take another look at what I actually asked for:

Hey, at least it's Qt!

That just chafes my ....

Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

That is funny.

Comment

Be careful what you ask for. And does that query mean that you expect 8 guests?
        Linux User #454271

Comment

Freud would be proud.
          GigaByte GA-965G-DS3, Core2Duo at 2.1 GHz, 4 GB RAM, ASUS DRW-24B1ST, LiteOn iHAS 324 A, NVIDIA 7300 GS, 500 GB and 80 GB WD HDD

Comment

Lost your marbles?

Click image for larger version

Name:	funny-pictures-cat-finds-your-lost-marbles.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	640170
            sigpic
            "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
            -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Steve, IF I see your mind wandering by I'll encourage it to return home because you miss it badly!
              (BTW, if you see mine would you return the favor?)
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

@GreyGeek (and Steve)...

Click image for larger version

Name:	535077_123925.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	640171

Comment

Here are the results. When you install Windows 8 in VMware Player and you enable the Unity feature, Player creates something very similar to the Start menu:

I think this could actually make Windows 8 almost usable. Note, too, that unlike the Preview Edition, the released version of Office 2013 allows you to choose some shading for the application window, instead of presenting that awful all-white UI.

Comment

Talk about shading, look at the Kubuntu Ninjas, especially the guy 2nd from the right!
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/jriddel...7493/lightbox/
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Steve, is that Unity feature within Windows 8 or VMWare Player?

Also, what is "Lync" and has it been missing?
                      Last edited by Guest; Nov 20, 2012, 03:27 PM. Reason: Asking another question

Comment

Unity is the one VMware Player feature that keeps me using it instead of VirtualBox. Unity integrates guest application Windows onto the host's desktop and task manager/switcher. It pretty much erases the distinction between the guest and the host.

Lync is the unified communications component of Office. We use it internally for IM.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                          Talk about shading, look at the Kubuntu Ninjas, especially the guy 2nd from the right!
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/jriddel...7493/lightbox/
                          Hah, nice find!

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                            Unity is the one VMware Player feature that keeps me using it instead of VirtualBox. Unity integrates guest application Windows onto the host's desktop and task manager/switcher. It pretty much erases the distinction between the guest and the host.

Lync is the unified communications component of Office. We use it internally for IM.
                            So thanks to the Unity feature within VMWare Player, Windows 8 becomes a lot more usable. Maybe that's the answer to all the critics of Windows 8, run it through VMWare not native.

And whose this "We" you refer to? Is that the Royal We? :-D

Comment

Originally posted by NickStone View Post
                              And whose this "We" you refer to? Is that the Royal We? :-D
                              My current employer.

Comment

Working...
                              X