This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Live spinning Ubuntu 12.10 and testing 30Mb/s connection upgrade

Compared to my recent spin of Mageia, this (posting this from live Ubuntu) isn't too bad except for the bizarre GUI, I cut my teeth on WinDOHS! 95, you can still see the influence in the way I set up my HDD install of Kubuntu 12.04. Unlike Mageia, I am able to mount my 4 HDD Raid 0, low and behold, I also mounted a floppy, with no pre-configuring, this is amazing since a kazillion 'buntu versions ago, I wasn't able to do much at all (including multimedia, etc), functionality has improved substantially, but that is not enough to get me to give up my Kubuntu, KDE is da bomb, this GUI is weird (I know, I already said that, lol) and old dogs like me hate learning new 'tricks' (aka GUIs). I do have a kudos for the Ubuntu team, it is quite intuitive, asking for installs during certain dialogues, etc, a pleasant change from hours of Googling to solve a problem.

As for my connection upgrade, yep, beautiful, downloaded this Ubuntu iso from a nearby Uni's computer science department's ftp server, 3.7MB/s, sweet, and a 175GB/month cap, gunna be a fun winter, lol.

Edit: Where is the screensaver?! And the occasional nag screen, blech.

Edit #2: Another thing I noticed, the GUI is waaaaaaaaaay too 'streamlined', if you are used to having 'File Edit View', etc, forget it, and practically non-existent right-click shortcuts, etc, yet another blech, lol.
    Last edited by tek_heretik; Oct 23, 2012, 03:45 PM.

You are a pretty lucky fellow. My connection is just 64KB/s.
    Can you imagine how patient we are?!

Comment

Originally posted by Chdslv View Post
      You are a pretty lucky fellow. My connection is just 64KB/s.
      Can you imagine how patient we are?!
      Sorry I can't imagine that, or rather I have forgot it, last time I had that on a desk/laptop was in the 90's. For monthly 250 SEK ~37$ ~28 € I have the result below, with no cap (including a 5 GB website host from the ISP).

I thank a state funded national infrastructure investment in the early 2000 with fibre cables all across the country (and especially Uni <-> Uni ) for bringing cheap and fast connections. I think citizens (especially in the western countries) should demand this instead of those gazillions spent on military interventions all across the globe!

br.

Jonas

ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
      Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
      Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
      Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
      - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
      >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

Originally posted by Jonas View Post
        Sorry I can't imagine that, or rather I have forgot it, last time I had that on a desk/laptop was in the 90's. For monthly 250 SEK ~37$ ~28 € I have the result below, with no cap (including a 5 GB website host from the ISP).

I thank a state funded national infrastructure investment in the early 2000 with fibre cables all across the country (and especially Uni <-> Uni ) for bringing cheap and fast connections. I think citizens (especially in the western countries) should demand this instead of those gazillions spent on military interventions all across the globe!

br.

Jonas

First of all, wow, smokin' fast, secondly, you are right, the greed in North America is out of control, just take a look at the 2008 crash, I know it was global, but the crux of it was U.S.

Comment

Working...
        X