Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Key parts of Ubuntu 13.04 will be developed in secret, to escape the critics’ ire

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Key parts of Ubuntu 13.04 will be developed in secret, to escape the critics’ ire

http://www.extremetech.com/computing...he-critics-ire
    I was surprised this wasn't posted. I am curious if this means anything for Kubuntu? I realize the Kubuntu devs will likely be in the group allowed early access, and I am pretty sure this simply means major things will be developed with in a key private group before being released to the public for testing quite a bit in advance of the official 13.04 release, and I suspect this applies more so to unity then to the back end as a whole. However, I am still a bit new to Kubuntu so I was curious what this means for us.
    CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
    Memory: 2x4GB Corsair Dominator
    Graphics Card: MSI R7770
    Monitor: Dell 2208WFP
    Mouse: Mionix NAOS 5000
    PSU: Corsair 520HX
    Case: Thermaltake Mozart TX
    Cooling: Thermalright TRUE Black Ultra-120 eXtreme CPU Heatsink Rev C
    Hard Drives: 1x180 GB Intel 330 SSD - 1xWD 1 TB Caviar Black - 1xWD 2 TB Caviar Green - 2xWD 3 TB Caviar Green

Originally posted by Xplorer4x4 View Post
    http://www.extremetech.com/computing...he-critics-ire
    I was surprised this wasn't posted. I am curious if this means anything for Kubuntu? I realize the Kubuntu devs will likely be in the group allowed early access, and I am pretty sure this simply means major things will be developed with in a key private group before being released to the public for testing quite a bit in advance of the official 13.04 release, and I suspect this applies more so to unity then to the back end as a whole. However, I am still a bit new to Kubuntu so I was curious what this means for us.
    So 13.04 is going to be a buggy mess....

Comment

While I think it is a stupid decision by Mark Shuttleworth, but I *think* things will still be released to the public well in advance(at least I hope so) of the official release. If that's the case, then I think it could still be solid.
      CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K
      Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
      Memory: 2x4GB Corsair Dominator
      Graphics Card: MSI R7770
      Monitor: Dell 2208WFP
      Mouse: Mionix NAOS 5000
      PSU: Corsair 520HX
      Case: Thermaltake Mozart TX
      Cooling: Thermalright TRUE Black Ultra-120 eXtreme CPU Heatsink Rev C
      Hard Drives: 1x180 GB Intel 330 SSD - 1xWD 1 TB Caviar Black - 1xWD 2 TB Caviar Green - 2xWD 3 TB Caviar Green

Comment

Originally posted by Xplorer4x4 View Post
        While I think it is a stupid decision by Mark Shuttleworth, but I *think* things will still be released to the public well in advance(at least I hope so) of the official release. If that's the case, then I think it could still be solid.
        My impression from the article was that some things would be left out of the beta releases so that on release day there would be a big surprise which would fill the hearts of all with wonder and people around the world worship Mark Shuttleworth. What will probably happen is that the "inovations" will be riddled with untested bugs which will likely produce more bad press than they got before.

Comment

lol
          woodsmoke

Comment

Well, If the "TA DA" moment is they dumped Unity in favor of something more usable, the critics will be happy.

Please Read Me

Comment

So did anyone actually read Shuttleworth's blog post on this? "Key parts" and other bits of this article are purely sensationalistic and distorted (like everything on the 'net these days, it seems )

http://ftbeowulf.wordpress.com/2012/...about-nothing/
              This is pretty much how I read mark's post, and I am far form an Ubuntu apologist/fanboy.

I don't get this mysterious "cult of Mark" thing, either. I have yet to see this up close :/

Comment

The poster, paid by ZiffDavis, can't be called an authority on the goings on of Ubuntu or Canonical.
                Sebastian Anthony

Based in the middle of nowhere, England, Sebastian finds his lonely, friendless-hobo existence to provide the perfect vantage point for bias-free, objective opinionation.
                Bias-free, objective opinion? A double-contradiction to be sure.
                Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I just noticed this (and already missed 4 of them! link below) - and I think this is what free software is all about. Share your progress (or lack of it).

If Kubuntu devs are forced to "shut the doors" - I may consider ditch it on sake of principle. (I agree I do have double standards though - I do run prop software)

Anyway here's a way to open doors and open discussion- which KDE devs do!

KDE teatime #5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hee...ture=g-all-esi

hope to see more of this

b.r

Jonas
                  ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
                  Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
                  Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
                  Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
                  - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
                  >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post

I don't get this mysterious "cult of Mark" thing, either. I have yet to see this up close :/
                    Well, now that Jobs is gone, somebody has to fill the void.

Comment

Even if that happens, as Kubuntu is not anymore maintained by Canonical but by Blue Systems, I doubt these ''key parts'' are going to touch this distro.

Comment

Originally posted by PPamaterasu View Post
                        Even if that happens, as Kubuntu is not anymore maintained by Canonical but by Blue Systems, I doubt these ''key parts'' are going to touch this distro.
                        Wrong there, as the whole Kubuntu team maintains the distro using Canonical's infrastructure as it always has, with Blue Systems sponsoring individual KDE and Kubuntu developers.

As to the "key parts", that statement is from the article's writer, not the actual facts.

Good lord, I hate looking like an apologist, but seriously.......

Comment

So he's finally going to do away with X11.

Comment

Working...
                          X