This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nook vs Kindle?

My wife has the Nook Tablet (16 GB). They've got a new Nook HD for $299. On the other side is the Kindle. The Kindle Fire HD is $264.

Has anybody used either of the two tablets? What are the major differences between the two?

I've heard that the Nook leans towards open source and standard files (epub), while the Fire uses a propitiatory system. Truth?

I see that the Nook has room for a SD card, while the Fire doesn't.

We've got a Barnes and Noble in our town, but I don't buy anything from them. I buy a lot of paper books from Amazon.

What is your experience?

Yes, kindle books are DRM's, but you cane convert any format for kindle with calibre

SD card is an adventage

http://gizmodo.com/5944222/how-to-ro...ire-hd-already

I don't know about rooting the Nook HD
    Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Originally posted by ScottyK View Post
      I've heard that the Nook leans towards open source and standard files (epub), while the Fire uses a propitiatory system. Truth?
      Truth. It's the primary reason I chose a Nook over a Kindle. Although there exist tools that perhaps elimiate this is a selection criteria.

Comment

We have a black and white Kindle. Personally - reading is something I do to relax and immerse myself in a fantasy world. The color and extra functions of the other devices just distract from my enjoyment. Plus our (it's really my wife's) Kindle goes weeks without recharging. I use Calibre to backup and install/convert titles from other sources - I haven't found anything yet I can't put on it. Of course, I hacked it right away so I could put family photos on it in place of the book covers that make up the screen savers.

I do have a Kindle app on my phone and tablet so if I really want to, I can access most of our books.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by jpenguin View Post
          I don't know about rooting the Nook HD
          Keep an eye on XDA-Developers. It appears not to be rooted yet, but I'm sure the wizzes there will sort it soon.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1906181

Comment

I booght my wife a Kindle Fire. The tablet it's self is fine, but we have both come to hate the Amazon lockin. You have to root/hack it to use regular android apps that are not in the amazon store. If the google nexus 7 was around at that time I would have bought it instead.
            Klaatu Barada Nikto

Comment

Working...
            X