This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lxde

My dual core Dell D630 (Lark) decided she wanted a taste of my fresh brewed mint iced tea, not realizing that it was poisonous for her. I had to dig out my Compaq Evo from 2003 and fired him up, to see if he (jake) could still run a few light laps for a few weeks until I found repair parts for Lark. Vista booted up just fine, but I only used that to run Odin for flashing my phone, but it is a heavy load for the old dog, so I decided to try out a light distro. I chose Lubuntu because it was quick and familiar under the skin, from past experience, Lxde is simple and straightforward.

Lubuntu runs like a champ on the old man's P4-M, but that is mostly due to a lack of extra stuff running that Ubuntu and Kubuntu run.

Everything works out of the box, as expected. There is minimal configuring to to, as like most *buntus, the automagic stuff takes care of it all, and my hardware is known and supported. There is no sound mixer included for some reason, but sound works fine ootb, until you add a headset or mic. You can install pulseaudio or alsamixer, but the Lxde sound applet complains that it does not see alsamixer (probably because it is looking for the gui version) or pavucontrol - as pulse is not installed.

I installed Skype and had to play with all the sound devices listed, it seems like there are 5 or more for each device, lol, but I got it where I liked it.

As to reliability, stability, lightness, it is all good in that area. Ole Jake still wanted to shut down if I ran Chromium, the default browser, with too many tabs, Heavy flash usage did the same thing. Wasn't even going to try Gimp or anything heavy on this creaky thing Also, quite regularly I would loose use of my trackpad, leaving me to reboot to get that back.

Now, this ended up all being hardware and pebkac. I decided to get the dust out of the old man, so I took off the keyboard to get at the exhaust fan, etc to get rid of the fuzz and dust. That's where I found a loose wire on the trackpad's connector. Fixed that, and got a flash of intelligence for once, and decided to string my self-installed, haphazardly arranged wifi antennae outside from directly under the keyboard, so that they hang outside the laptop. I am thinking thagt the radio waves were causing some interference or similar because Jake has not shut down yet, and is running cooler. I am going to run some youtube to see how he fares, but so far so good.

So it is always a good idea to look at non-software things once in a while when there are issues, especially if something has been kludged together .

Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-08-29 15.08.20.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	647844

I used to run Lubuntu on my old laptop. Nice distro. It still ran a little slow though so I took it off and have been running Crunchbang. I wouldnt say it flies now, but it runs perfectly.

On configuring LXDE, there is actually a lot to do. I really liked LXpanel...simple yet included a lot of options. Some of the other configurations lack a GUI so you have to edit config files.

Comment

with all the lxde and openbox config applets, it is well configurable, plus some added system config bits from gnome and xfce i haven't yet cracked open a terminal or text editor. A quick and dirty emergency OS grab for me turned out to not be dirty at all. It is a full featured distro. I won't be skimping on much while I wait to save money for an ebay motherboard for the Dell.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
        My dual core Dell D630 (Lark) ... my Compaq Evo from 2003 (jake)
        Dude. You name your computers?

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
          Dude. You name your computers?
          Yeah. The oldest laptop is always Jake, the newest or fastest is Lark, the smallest is Twit. Sometimes there is a Sunni if I have an older, reliable desktop and a Gus if I have another old or flaky system. All named after my dogs over the years. 8) I hope never to have a Riley. He bit and never could be trusted or trained
          Last edited by claydoh; Aug 29, 2012, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Not all Rileys bite

Comment

I bet you would if you'd been left in a cupboard for months, full of dust, with one of your connectors dangling.
              I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Not all Rileys bite
                This Riley was a rehab project, a Jack Russell terrier. I was the only person he did not nip our bite, only because I could tell from his body language when he was about to get nasty. I don't want a computer like that, lol!

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

A heart-warming story about a man and his laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by SecretCode View Post
                    I bet you would if you'd been left in a cupboard for months, full of dust, with one of your connectors dangling.
                    I maintain an extremely clean and highly utilized connector, thankyouverymuch.

Comment

Bawhahaha........LMFAO

VINNY
                      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                      16GB RAM
                      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

That is why it is good to spay or neuter your systems, to prevent the spread of dangling connectors or leaky batteries.

I won't touch on what highly utilized means, this being a family friendly place
                        Last edited by claydoh; Sep 02, 2012, 08:18 PM.

Comment

I was wondering about the angle of the dangle...

Please Read Me

Comment

Not for you or any other man!

Comment

As long as it isn't a "dangling participle" you are okay.
                              Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                              X