X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leap Motion $70.

What exactly is The Leap?
    The Leap is a small iPod sized USB peripheral that creates a 3D interaction space of 8 cubic feet to precisely interact with and control software on your laptop or desktop computer. It’s like being able to reach into the computer and pull out information as easily as reaching into a cookie jar.
    The Leap senses your individual hand and finger movements independently, as well as items like a pen. In fact, it’s 200x more sensitive than existing touch-free products and technologies. It’s the difference between sensing an arm swiping through the air and being able to create a precise digital signature with a fingertip or pen.

What makes Leap Motion stand out?
    Leap Motion is the only technology focused on bringing motion control to the desktop – rather than trying to take what’s been built for TV (large gesture sensing) and make it work for computers. We incorporate natural motions and finger tracking in far greater detail and sensitivity, than any product on the market. The Leap is ~100x more accurate than any other motion sensing/natural user interface on Earth.
    How do I pre-order a LEAP?
    We have a limited number available for our first shipment this winter. Early birds catch the worm – so click here to order. We won’t charge you until the product is ready to ship.
    How can I get a free developer kit?
    We’re distributing thousands of kits to qualified developers, because, well, we want to see what kinds of incredible things you can all do with our technology. So wow us. Actually, register to get the SDK and a free Leap device first, and then wow us.
    Do you support windows?
    Yes! We also support native touch emulation for Windows 8.
    How about Linux?
    Linux support is on the agenda.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Ya know GG we really DO need to quit meeting like this! lol

I was just going to post on it!

It is very intriguing!

woodsmoke

Comment

I'll say. I wonder if the software can cancel out hand shaking? (Like the DiVinci Surgical Robot does!)
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Technical types tend to be so d*ed self absorbed, focused on themselves and the THINGS, that they forget to carry on a good, clear and clearly projected speech! (Ref.: the vid)
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

It seems like a dumb idea. Your arms would get tired rather quickly if you're waving at the screen all day. Maybe I am old skool, but a keyboard seems a lot more efficient. Make it so I can rest my hands on my lap or something, then get back to me. I am NOT going to be waving at the screen like that.

Comment

Originally posted by eggbert View Post
            It seems like a dumb idea. Your arms would get tired rather quickly if you're waving at the screen all day. Maybe I am old skool, but a keyboard seems a lot more efficient. Make it so I can rest my hands on my lap or something, then get back to me. I am NOT going to be waving at the screen like that.
            +1 Maybe good for painters and conductors.
            Ok, got it: Ashes come from burning.

Comment

yeah but for visually impaired people, or people walking down the street, or my grandkids in the play area down by the creek, it would be a workable option.

woodsmoke

Comment

It might generate a lot of misunderstanding too.

Comment

Good point!

Comment

LOL
                    woodsmoke

Comment

Originally posted by eggbert View Post
                      Maybe I am old skool, but a keyboard seems a lot more efficient. Make it so I can rest my hands on my lap or something, then get back to me. I am NOT going to be waving at the screen like that.
                      Originally posted by rms View Post
                      +1 Maybe good for painters and conductors.
                      Even painters work on physical surfaces. Tactile feedback is important. Kinect has been around for...how long? Yet you don't typically see one hooked up to a business PC. There's probably a reason for that.

Originally posted by rms View Post
                      It might generate a lot of misunderstanding too.
                      Do you suppose her apartment number is just a coincidence? I didn't, either.

Oh, and the "performance may vary" disclaimer at the end is unintentionally funny

Comment

SR your comment made me think of the Theramin.

I actually got to see one of the originals, it was brought to my high school, and got to "poke my finger" in the field and make sound.

And, it didn't take of....

tactility......hmmmmm food for thought there.

woodsmoke

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                          Even painters work on physical surfaces. Tactile feedback is important. Kinect has been around for...how long? Yet you don't typically see one hooked up to a business PC. There's probably a reason for that.
                          +1 It could be useful for remote controlling multimedia playback.

Comment

Well, I thought I'd actually LEAP...... lol and purchase a leap motion and play around with it using the big screen t.v.

The company's site has "an installer" for "Linux"

https://www.leapmotion.com/setup

When one unpacks the tar one gets two debs one for "x-64" and one for "x-86".

When one clicks either deb Qapt says that all dependencies are met however one then gets these two messages:

Message for the 64 bit.

Selecting previously unselected package leap.
                            (Reading database ... 333671 files and directories currently installed.)
                            Preparing to unpack .../Leap-2.3.1+31549-x64.deb ...
                            Unpacking leap (2.3.1+31549) ...
                            Setting up leap (2.3.1+31549) ...
                            Leap Motion installed under /usr/bin and /usr/sbin
                            To start the Leap Motion daemon, run:
                            sudo leapd
                            This does not appear to be an Debian or Ubuntu-compatible distro
                            If you would like Leap Motion to run as a service, it is up to you
                            to configure systemd or /etc/init.d appropriately.
                            Done

Message for 32 bit

(Reading database ... 333784 files and directories currently installed.)
                            Preparing to unpack .../Leap-2.3.1+31549-x86.deb ...
                            Unpacking leap:i386 (2.3.1+31549) over (2.3.1+31549) ...
                            Setting up leap:i386 (2.3.1+31549) ...
                            Leap Motion installed under /usr/bin and /usr/sbin
                            To start the Leap Motion daemon, run:
                            sudo leapd
                            This does not appear to be an Debian or Ubuntu-compatible distro
                            If you would like Leap Motion to run as a service, it is up to you
                            Done
                            I just LOVE the "it is up to you. Especially since Kubuntu does not seem to be a Debian or Ubuntu "compatible" distro! lol

"sudo leapd" did nothing. lol

So....any advice before I fork over my filthy luchre?

woodappreciativesmoke

Comment

Wellll exQUEEZE me! :0

I just assumed, and we all know what THAT does... that "nothing happened" but... after I made the post I nosed about in usr/bin and there is indeed...........a "leapcontropanel"

When one clicks it one gets........a ULA!!

So........I accepted and nothing happened...

ok....waiting, waiting.....

went and looked in the menu.......nothing there ...

went back and clicked again in usr/bin and WOAH!!

A VERY NICE AND COMPLETE CONTROL PANEL!!!

So...........i'm gonna get the dingus and see whether it might be worth using in front of my widescreen t.v. setup! :0

woodsmoke

Comment

Working...
                              X