This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Impressed by Precise 12.04 Beta

Well, I decided after downloading that last Alpha DVD to install it on my work "Test" system. It was 11.10. The Live session of the Alpha was quite flawless so I plunged today. ALOT of updates and to find out that was due to it now being Beta. Nice! Timed that just right as I usually upgrade at that point anyway. So, my assesment. WOW. Of all the Betas I've test drove for kubuntu and I did not have a single error. Not a missed process in the update portion. This doing the CDROM upgrade path. Graphics are smooth. I mean everything is just flawless from my viewpoint. No broken links, none that I found in my routine on this system. Even my VirtualBOX environements I have running on this system still worked. This is by far Kubuntu's best. I hate to hear that Canonical "kind of" dropped it. Seeing these results from this upgrade, maybe not such a bad thing after all. DEVs, Keep up the good work! We appreciate you more than you probably hear. Impressive!

Thaaat's what I've been telling folks!! :cool:
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I'm happy so far, too. The only gliches are minor software bugs, like the software center listing download sizes incorrectly, or kpatience being sluggish when sounds are on. But thats about it that I've seen, and there is still eight weeks left to get everything untied. I wish the developers good luck...

Comment

Took a download of the Daily Build for my primary machine at home. The first one in my SIG below. Did a fresh install. After fixing a lot, and I mean a lot, of broken dependencies, all seems to be going really well. Nothing has crashed yet. Very pleased and still impressed. Just hope the dependencies get ironed out before release. Not for me, for others who might not know how to fix such an issue.

Go Kubuntu!!!!

Comment

The assumption I'm making from your post, is that you 'upgraded' to 12.04, as opposed to installing it 'fresh'. If an upgrade to 12.04, and you have third-party/non-standard repositories and installed applications from them, this can/likely/will create dependency problems.

When one is upgrading from an earlier *buntu to a newer one, it has been/is recommended that any such third-party/non-standard repositories be disabled (commented out) before performing the distribution upgrade.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

No, it was a Fresh install. Just now getting to my 3rd party applications. Had to fix those dependencies. I always do a fresh. Now, I do admit, that I was using an exported list of installed programs to reinstall in the Fresh install. It is possible that caused the issues.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise View Post
              I was using an exported list of installed programs to reinstall in the Fresh install. It is possible that caused the issues.
              Quite possible.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Well, as I said, I've pretty much have everything straightened out. I don't know what they did, but on this machine, things are WAY faster than they were under 11.10. I mean noticeably faster. As Droopy would say

"You know what? I'm happy!"

Comment

OK. So I found out why that one did as it did. Was related to using that list of software. Upgraded my laptop and instead of doing as I did before and just saying yes to everything I noticed in the list of selected software that the majority of the selected were i386 versions not the 64bit versions. I wonder why that is doing that now?

Comment

post #10 looks like a spammer to me ......................??

VINNY
                    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                    16GB RAM
                    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Yep!

Comment

Maybe his language barrier. From Latvia.

At any rate, Kubuntu 12.04 is the best so far, and they have gotten much better on the last few releases.
                        Boot Info Script

Comment

Gone. Message was full of suspicious links to sites in the ".ru" TLD.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                            Gone. Message was full of suspicious links to sites in the ".ru" TLD.
                            my thoughts exactly .........

VINNY
                            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                            16GB RAM
                            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
                            X