X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Go to see "the Artist".

Hi
    I went to see "the Artist" yesterday and I can truely say that I was greatly impressed by the fact that it is truely a "different" film.

I am NOT into "artsy-#$%tsy" movies that has the talking heads saying it is revolutionary, and trenchant and a..yada yada yada...just to make sure that people can hear them bloviate.

Normally, if a reviewer sayis it is "one of the greatest movies of our time", I get out my collection of four stamps of the American flag and rearrange them because it is a much better use of my time than going to see the wannabe movies that are touted so that the reviewer can get street cred and money.

However, given that, "the Artist" really IS ....a different.....and enjoyable.....film that has a really good premise and that has several twists, and that has a totally unexpected, and I mean that sincerely, totally unexpected, ending.

If you heard that it is "silent" then that is correct except that it is NOT "silent" in several very key places.

Think "surgical strike" in military terms. The use of "talking" is SO.... well placed that it is just...amazing...really.

There is no sex, no violence, but it is not intended for small children, or possibly shallow teens..they will lose interest very quickly. However, a teen that is "thoughtful" will probably love it. I appreciated Casablanca when I was 13 and it is, even today, my top movie.

It has a very good cast, that fit their parts more than perfectly.

Two warnings and a recommendation.

The warnings:
    a) DO NOT READ ANY review, especially Wikipedia that gives a narrative of the plot, or "spoilers ahead" because the ending is one of the "points" of the movie, and, again, it is so surprising, that if you have read it....then you might as well stay home.
    b) This really is one of those films that one has to "pay attention to". If you have to take a "pit stop" in the last twenty minutes or so you will miss out so "go early" or don't drink a lot of the half gallon of soda you purchased until you are leaving the theatre.

The recommendation:
    c) Although this is not a "chick flick", actually it is a "chick flick", but of a VERY different kind, you are not going to go away crying but..again.........if you can ...go with someone you "care about"....

woodsmoke

Thanks for the very helpful rundown, woody. I'm going to wait until it's on PPV on DirecTV, and then see it. I *LOVE* silent movies--the real ones, from early last century--and have a collection of them on my DVR, so I was looking forward to this to see how a modern-day spin on silent movies would play out. Now, thanks to your post, I'm going to make it a point not to read or listen to anything that may spoil its ending. Can't wait to see it!
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Working...
    X