This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not Kubuntu, but working again

Well I finally hit the point I couldn't take the keyboard touchpad glich anymore. I didn't want to spend the time to go through the process of installing debian, changing my repos to testing, and apt-get dist-upgrade, and install kde. Change reposs again and have to sit and install stuff until the media was running smoothly.

So I did the easything and installed LMDE updated the repos and sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgade && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Then sudo apt-get install kde-full

Know I have KDE 4.6.5 running on kernel 3.0.0-1-amd64.

Not the latest, greatest, but no annoying glich either. All is good.

Re: Not Kubuntu, but working again

If only because you have spare time and want to try an alternate way to achieve what you've done, you might try the steps in my post How to build a KDE-based Ubuntu by hand. It'll be a little cleaner because it won't have the LXDE stuff hanging around.

Ubuntu Precise is pretty stable right now, so if you want something more up-to-date, you'd probably be ok to go this route. Breakage tends to happen later in the alpha-beta cycle, so you could conceivably build up the system now, stop updating on 2 February (when alpha 2 is scheduled), and wait until 12.04 is released.

Comment

May try it in a week or two. I still have to finish moving, work on my RV, and alot of cleaning to do in the shops downstairs.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley
        Ubuntu Precise is pretty stable right now,
        I've got Precise running just like I have Lucid running on my Sony laptop, except Precise is running so well that I fired up the Sony only once since I started booting Precise on this Acer, and that was to upload some stuff to UbuntuOne for transfer to this laptop. A LOT of things were a lot easier to setup. My HP 1606pd duplex laser was configured by merely plugging it into a USB port. On Lucid I had to recompile the wacom.ko kernel module every time the kernel was updated. On Precise, the tool to set up and calibrate tablets is in SystemSettings and it configured my wacom Bamboo tablet without a fuss.

so if you want something more up-to-date, you'd probably be ok to go this route. Breakage tends to happen later in the alpha-beta cycle, so you could conceivably build up the system now, stop updating on 2 February (when alpha 2 is scheduled), and wait until 12.04 is released.
        Lucid had a couple of regressions before it went Gold but just being patient and allowing the ujpdates to come down the pipe automatically fixed all of them. The big problem people had is that they got too pushy and attempted to use apt-get while the developers were uploading files to the server, resulting in busted systems. Precise has a VERY GOOD update facility and it won't update anything from a batch till everything is ready. So, you'll see some items checked and other are not. Don't force them and check something that is not checked automatically and you'll be good. When you system is up to date the update dialog while show a green shield with a white check mark in it and the sentence "Your system is up to date".

Personally, I've made the decision over a week ago to switch to Precise. I haven't been disappointed.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

If only because you have spare time and want to try an alternate way to achieve what you've done, you might try the steps in my post How to build a KDE-based Ubuntu by hand. It'll be a little cleaner because it won't have the LXDE stuff hanging around.
          OP has built KDE on top of LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition), not LXDE. It's Debian Testing with some Mint tools to ease the pain of switching to the mothership. Debian has a good KDE offering, but it's way, way behind on times. KDE 4,7 only made it into Unstable very recently. I'd personally go with Kubu.
          "The only way Kubuntu could be more user friendly would be if it came with a virtual copy of Snowhog and dibl"

Comment

Actually I did the switch with LMDE because of my wife. I can make it easier for her, because she is a newbie. With the issues We were having I was about ready to install debian experimental on mine and drop back to something in kubuntu, mint 11.04 range on her's. As it sits right now I am about tired of messing with them and they are running fine. If I get a break and get bored in the next week or so I might change mine back to debian and bump it up to sid. I haven't seen that big a difference between KDE 4.6 and 4.7.95 to think I have been left lost in the woods somewhere.

I kind of figure Ubuntu was in such a hurry to shove something out the door with Gnome 3 that some hardware issues were overlooked like nvidia and AMD/ATI video drivers. I figure Before jumping backin that pond I will let that fork off debian make it to version 12 and see if it levels it back out.

Comment

Originally posted by cavedweller
              I was about ready to install debian experimental on mine
              Debian experimental is not even a complete distribution! Are you sure you want to do that? If you want the latest and greatest Debian, that actually hangs together as a complete distribution, here are two good choices (siduction is a fork of aptosid):

http://aptosid.com/index.php

http://siduction.org/index.php?module=news&lang=en

Comment

Originally posted by de_koraco
                OP has built KDE on top of LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition), not LXDE. It's Debian Testing with some Mint tools to ease the pain of switching to the mothership.
                Yeah, I realize now that I did a mental switch from LMDE to LXDE. Sorry about that.

Originally posted by dibl
                I was about ready to install debian experimental on mine
                Debian experimental is not even a complete distribution! Are you sure you want to do that?
                Hm, I wonder whether cavedweller also mistyped? It's true, the "E" in LMDE doesn't mean experimental. Debian's experimental repository is a completely different thing.

Comment

Hm, I wonder whether cavedweller also mistyped?
                  Hmmm - yeah, maybe -- he can let us know.

Reviewing the context, if the interest is in the latest version of KDE for Debian testing or sid systems, then I think the newest complete KDE (for Debian) that has been reasonably tested is in this repo:

Code:
                  deb [url]http://qt-kde.debian.net/debian[/url] experimental-snapshots main
                  deb-src [url]http://qt-kde.debian.net/debian[/url] experimental-snapshots main
                  It is presently at version 4.7.2.

EDIT: If you want to get a little more adventuresome with your Debian sid or testing system, you can try KDE 4.7.4 from experimental: http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/2.../msg00018.html

But probably there are bugs ...

Comment

I took lmde which is testing and added the SID main repo to it then dist-upgrade.

Comment

I took lmde which is testing and added the SID main repo to it then dist-upgrade.
                      Interesting.

Well, Sid is reasonably stable (even if the name is "unstable") at this time, pending finalization of the next version of Debian. But, after Debian 7 gets released, you can expect Sid to revert to his unruly ways ....

Comment

When 7 releases I will comment Sid until it settles back down. That's if I haven't reinstalled by then.

Comment

Do you really think you can resist reinstalling for another year or so?

Comment

He won't.

I told myself I would wait until Precise went Gold before I would install it on my new Acer. I couldn't reist trying the LiveCD. And, I am glad I didn't. It's running like a champ on this Acer 7739. I haven't been on my Sony since I installed Precise on this box 18 days ago.
                            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

But how awesome are Acers, right? Right?
                              "The only way Kubuntu could be more user friendly would be if it came with a virtual copy of Snowhog and dibl"

Comment

Working...
                              X