Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old problem, new alert: GPG short key collision.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old problem, new alert: GPG short key collision.

It has been reported that the GPG encryption key generation system has been documented as generating two different keys with the same short key ID.

Summary: It is important that we (the Debian community that relies on OpenPGP through GNU Privacy Guard) stop using short key IDs. There is no vulnerability in OpenPGP and GPG. However, using short key IDs (like 0x70096AD1) is fundamentally insecure; it is easy to generate collisions for short key IDs. We should always use 64-bit (or longer) key IDs, like: 0x37E1C17570096AD1 or 0xEC4B033C70096AD1.
    Apparently it is an old problem, but the solution is as simple as: stop using short key IDs. However, since signature verifications cannot be spoofed with this technique, nothing is compromised. Only humans are confused, which could lead to some social engineering, at worst. I suspect that after this publicity those who haven't been using long keys will start doing so when they upload their apps to secure servers. And, users should be aware of the problem and not trust the short key as the proof of authenticity.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Re: Old problem, new alert: GPG short key collision.

Hey, I say we should hash some sacred cows and throw them on the grille. Wanna join me?

Comment

Ya! I'll bring the Bacon!
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

LOLOLOLOL!

Note to KFN newbies: the humor in this thread condenses a number of on-going discussions into a few pithy sentences. Peruse the social/casual talk forum for background

Comment

Working...
        X