This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GoDaddy supports SOPA

In light of domain registrar GoDaddy's public support of SOPA and the PROTECT IP act, an online protest is forming based at Reddit.com.
    (http://www.reddit.com/r/politics/com...ng_51_domains/)

They are suggesting Dec 29th as "move your domain away from GoDaddy day".

I live in the UK, so this doesn't really affect me personally and I'm just spreading the news really; however, the UK government has a bad habit of following the US's lead when it comes to bad ideas. Combine that with the US's recent liking of the idea of trying to export its IP laws (eg. ACTA), and any inclination I might have had to shrug my shoulders and think "it's not my problem" starts to evaporate.
    sigpic
    "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
    -- Douglas Adams

Re: GoDaddy supports SOPA

Thanks for the heads-up! Glad I don't use those guys.
    ​"Keep it between the ditches"
    K*Digest Blog
    K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

GoDaddy had pissed me off years ago, and I know for a fact that this is not the first stupid thing they've done or come out in support of. I really am surprised it took the online community this long to realize they really are a bad apple.

Comment

I have four domains on GoDaddy. I have been thinking of moving them for some time, not because of their support for SOPA, but because the constant barrage of emails trying to sell me something. The support for SOPA is my incentive to get off my butt and do something. I would like to find a hosting service that is just that, and nothing more. I want a nice clean, easy to navigate service where I can host my domains and not be constantly bombarded with spam about upgrades and specials on domain names, etc. I don't need "Web Builders" or any other crap. All I need is a place where I can easily upload my pages via ftp to a linux based server, and an interface where I can control my account settings easily. Of course it should also be reasonably priced. Any suggestions?

Comment

I can't recommend this one as I've never used them, but I know their servers are linux based

http://www.hostgator.com/

Please Read Me

Comment

Personally I like Namecheap as a DNS registrar.

Of course, DynDNS has been providing an enormous service for the Internet, and I would be remiss in not supporting them as a DNS registrar.

I'm sure there are execs, lawyers, and lobbyists at GoDaddy who are quite financially cozy with politicians and other software company execs, likely drinking together at fancy Caribbean island bars, trying to monopolize a large segment of the internet, taking everyone else for a ride. Sounds like the US financial system these days, doesn't it, where the taxpayer is stuck paying for banks unethical practices which are allowed (and often supported by) the very corrupt and unethical politicians that the undeducated masses in the US seemingly elect over and over.

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
            and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
              I can't recommend this one as I've never used them, but I know their servers are linux based

http://www.hostgator.com/
              Apparently HostGator.com is offering 50% off on all hosting with coupon code NOSOPA.
              sigpic
              "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
              -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by HalationEffect
                Apparently HostGator.com is offering 50% off on all hosting with coupon code NOSOPA.
                I hope so as I just Tweeted that. lol.
                K*Digest Blog
                K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

HostGator looks good. I'm wondering if their Reseller Hosting Program might not be the best choice if you want several sites hosted.

Comment

I've never received an email from freehostia.com, except to confirm a transaction that I initiated. And their servers are all Linux. FYI.

Comment

Check godaddy.com....It seems they've had a change of heart.... Behold the power of social media!!
                      K*Digest Blog
                      K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by dequire
                        Check godaddy.com....It seems they've had a change of heart.... Behold the power of social media!!
                        The cynic in me suspects they still support SOPA privately, just not publicly any more. Purely a PR move on their part.
                        sigpic
                        -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by perspectoff
                          Of course, DynDNS has been providing an enormous service for the Internet, and I would be remiss in not supporting them as a DNS registrar.
                          IIRC, DynDNS hijacks NXDOMAIN answers.

Comment

I've been nothing but happy with Dreamhost, and I've been a customer of theirs for years.

Comment

21,000 domains transferred out of GoDaddy.

http://tinyurl.com/cjhog88

Comment

Working...
                              X