This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Hoot and A 'Haller

I'm still new here everyone but I wanted to share my current situation with you and my soon to be new situation too.

The 'Hoot'>> I'm still working with a Compaq system that I ordered on Jan.29,2002
    It has an AMD Athlon XP CPU@1.33Ghz; it came with 256MB PC2100 RAM but I upgraded that to 2 x 512GB about a year later; it still is running an original 64MB SDR nVidia GeForce2 w/TV-Out video card

I upgraded the Hard drive from a 40GB Ultra DMA That died a year or so ago I installed a WD Caviar Blue 80GB EIDE that now only has Linux and a replacement CD/DVD burner that I installed about 18 months ago but now is dual boot Ubuntu and Kubuntu.

The 'Haller' is that in early Sept. this year I will be building a new system, I believe the spec's in my signature show most of where I am going.

The surprise is that if I can learn enough in the next few weeks is that I will be using Kubuntu as my main or Host OS.

Thanks for patience and help in learning and I'll be a talkin' at/with you
    Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3: ATI Fire-Pro V4800; Phenom II X4 970 3.5 Ghz; G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 4 x 4GB; WD Caviar Black 1.5 TB;CM 690 case w/9 fans and 6-switch rheobus plus 2 optical drives [ROM & RW]

Re: A Hoot and A 'Haller

One comment. Instead of a 1.5 TB drive, get two or three smaller drives, and that way you can do your backups to another drive. I've had two 1TB drives fail on me but my old WD 500GB drives just keep humming along. Having my backups on a separate drive is a blessing when this happens. Also, if you dual boot with different distros on different drives, and one drive fails, you still have a way to boot your computer.

Comment

OK so that is a thought; however I am considering an secondary drive via MOBO SATA link ot USB 3.0 as a back-up Drive. There-in backing up the files and folders on a secondary drive. Would this not meet the parameters of what you are suggesting?

I was/am thinking a 1.5 TB primary Drive with multiple partitions and adding within-in 2 months an either internal or external 2.0TB drive as a back-up.

I am trying to learn what it takes to do this via Kubuntu as the 'Host' or primary OS for the system.
      If I set up as thus;
      sda1 ---- swap
      sda2 -----boot
      sda3 ---- GRUB Backup
      sda4 ----- Extended
      sda5 ------Main OS 'Host' Install
      sda6 --------Back-up main install
      sda7 -- open for new OS Linux
      sda8 ---open for new OS Linux
      sda9 data --for main and V-box installs
      sda10 data-back-up for sda9

Now if I do this with the primary HDD then what do I need to do for a secondary HDD ported on the MOBO SATA Ports?
      Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3: ATI Fire-Pro V4800; Phenom II X4 970 3.5 Ghz; G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 4 x 4GB; WD Caviar Black 1.5 TB;CM 690 case w/9 fans and 6-switch rheobus plus 2 optical drives [ROM & RW]

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
        One comment. Instead of a 1.5 TB drive, get two or three smaller drives, and that way you can do your backups to another drive. I've had two 1TB drives fail on me.....
        I understand the failure rate on large drives. that is why I am looking into and researching a back-up drive for my build. I think a lot of drive issues tend to be 'task' oriented and that the applications I am planning to use are not as prone to those crashes, all-be-it a bad drive is a bad drive regardless of use.

I am one in a new steep learning curve and so far see Kubuntu as a positive move forward for me but I am trying to learn how to best utilize a secondary drive as a 'back-up' to the primary drive of my system new build.

All thoughts and help is welcome and appreciated

Comment

Hi
          Interesting ideas.

I tried that kind of setup several years ago, albeit with smaller drives because the drives were...ummm smaller!

One of the guys that I learned to build computers from had a frame that looked like something out of a Transformers movie considering the number of drives, size of drives and attendant wires etc. etc.

And, working from his inspiration, I have tried the big rigs setup.

Then one day while I was sitting on the throne, I had a thought. Don't have many of those anymore since I'm oldern' dirt!

I had come to love Remastersys and usb drives and K3B and cd burners and the thought was....

a) make the ideal distro of A and the ideal distro of B and the ideal distro of...whatever...on SEPERATE drives.... and immediately make a remastersys of it for each drive. Thus, if there is a crash I can load the ideal distro onto another drive within a relatively short time.

And, if I further tweak the ideal distro, I just make a new remastersys!

b) Instead of trying to "back up" data.... when any new information is produced I always, immediately, copy it to a usb stick in a dated folder. This may sound tedious, but considering the HOURS that I have spent trying out various backup apps etc. I consider it time well spent and is not that hard to do.... just copy and if it is a large amount of stuff, get a cuppa joe while it is going on.

c) At the same time also copy them to a USB external hard drive.
          d) Periodically make a cd or a dvd, of several moves of data.

I keep a honkin' machine on the table within arm's reach that has the side of the case removed. However, because of the position I can easily put the side of the case back on in the event that I want to prettyfy the desk when visitors are over or something.

I have an extra large fan on the cpu itself, and an added fan( on the back of the case(as normal) blowing on the cpu fan. Of COURSE it one of those "mod" fans that changes light colors!

There is amazingly little dust buildup, but i keep a can of air to spray on things periodically so that may be the reason for small dust build up....amazing how OFTEN one will do something when it is CONVENIENT to do it!

The hard drive de jour is not in the case at all, although it can be easily slid into in a SIDE FACING rack. I purchased several of these at the GregMan's down on the docks and replace front/back facing racks with them.

The hard drive is standing vertically BESIDE the case with one, sometimes two mod fans (with the cycling lights of course! ) blowing on it. The case and drive are sitting on a nice "placemat" so that I can easily move case, drive, all of it around on the desk by merely pushing on the placemat.

The drive is held vertical by the ribbon cable and power wires.

The power wires have the middle of wire plug and I plug the fan(s) into it/them. The fans are also are standing vertically by themselves on the placemat and blow DIRECTLY onto the bottom of the hard drive from only a few inches away.

The setup, by the way, also allows the video card to remain very cool, because the fan on it can vent easily and the back of case fan can move the card's fan's air easily instead of trying to force it out through vents a closed case.

I can change the OS with a simple shut down and switching of the HD. The hds are labeled with sticky notes as to the particular OS, date made, etc.

i do not use very large hard drives, usually in the twenty gig range or smaller because, again, nothing is stored on the drive.

The simple test of how long the drive might last is that of placing one's hand on the drive. It is significantly cooler than a drive that is buried in a frame inside the normal closed case even with extra fans pulling air.

i have yet to have a drive fail in this setup.

There has been an ongoing debate for over a decade as to whether to leave the computer running continually or turn it off. I really do not know which side is correct in that debate, but I leave my computer(s) running continually.

Since I used to mod and donate "junque" computers I have a couple of systems stored and if this system ever goes down I'll just get one of them and continue on with almost no interruption.

Considering how much money and angst is spent by people on concerns over their data and OS, and failures thereof, I, personally, think this is money well spent.

I would recommend that anybody go to a second hand computer shoppe and purchase a working case that they can easily afford, sans drive, and store it away.

Now, yes, if there is a micros sith genuine advantage POS sticker on the case you are going to have to buy the drive also, but any shop will have multiple cases in the back in various states of dis/repair just explain what is wanted and they will usually be accomodating.

Since Linux can wake up in any machine, as opposed to Windblows, if the hardware fails, just grab the other box, put the drive in and go back to work. One can then try to fix the blown system at one's leisure or take it to a shop.

So.....my rig don't LOOK very purty! But it is convenient.

So, that is what I do to have multiple OS's and data at my beck and call. Not purty but it works like a charm! lol

woodsmoke

Comment

Just make sure you have at least two drives that are bootable. My setup is a lot like Woodsmokes. But if I had only one computer I would definitely want to make sure it was always ready to boot, regardless of a hard drive failure. Of course, that won't help you in the event of other hardware failures. I have been through them all. MB failure, graphics card failure, power supply failure, etc.

Comment

Working...
            X