Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

University of Phoenix. Looking a getting an Associates degree.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

University of Phoenix. Looking a getting an Associates degree.

Okay, I love working with computers and have decided that's what I want to do with my life. I've got a small window of opportunity that I can go to school and finally make something of myself. I want to work with servers and networking and make some good money at it.

University of Phoenix sounds like a good place to try. Online courses so I can maintain a normal job while getting a degree. I was hoping on of you professionals could help guide me and make an informative choice as to which way would be best to go or perhaps a better school to try.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

Re: University of Phoenix. Looking a getting an Associates degree.

I actually got a degree from UOP, and while there was quite a bit that I have learned, I would strongly suggest looking around at some of the other schools that offer online instruction. And depending on your state, you may be able to find comparable (and cheaper) online study at the state university. Again, it's just a suggestion, but make sure you weigh all of your options in terms of which program to go to before you go into it.
    (Regular) Linux User Since September 1, 2010 (First played around with Linux in 2004)
    Kubuntu 12.04 (64-bit), Dual Boot w/Windows Vista
    KDE 4.8.4a, HP Pavilion dv9623gl, AMD Turion64 x2
    nVidia GeForce Go 7150M, 2 GB RAM

Comment

Let me first qualify my opinion by saying I have not gone to UOP. Don't forget that school is a business opposed to a pubic institution. Not that you wouldn't get a good education, just that you might get as good or possibly better for much less money.

I my area, most of the Junior/Community colleges have IT programs and as far as Networking goes - you can get a network admin certificate (without the Associates degree) in about 17 credit hours.

I think you might start by looking at what jobs you may be interested in, see what those companies require in the way of education, and then search for schools both on-line and in your area. Once enrolled, you may also be able to get an internship at a local company with an IT department - likely unpaid, but it's free experience and education.

Please Read Me

Comment

Right now, I just want to achieve a certification or Associates degree and get a job that pays the bills. I took you guy's advice and looked at other school and there's an ITT here in Little Rock, AR and they offer online courses for the area I want to focus on, that being Information Systems Administration.

I'm thinking that sounds better.

This is the entire reason I started this thread, to get advice from pros that know better then I do.

Comment

I'd go with oshunluvr on this.

As for UOP, you can google-search for UOP in your specific geography to see what their strengths are, what complaints people have against them, what their "rating" is (according to various rating outfits).

That said, I would look around at any local tech/community/jr colleges. Especially any that have local "brand recognition" in the area you wish to study AND a track record at placing grads in that area. Get their literature and study it first. Call them for a face-to-face interview(s): with a placement official/Dean and one with a head of the area you wish to study. Let them know what your goals are, that you are serious, and ask them point blank if they have a quality program with a proven record of placements. Not the time to be shy. Everyone now is a salesman. Go to their campus bookstore and look at the books they use in your area (thumb through them). Basically, you want to interview the school. (Ask about any financial assistance, if applicable.)
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
          X