Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My wife discovered an amazing cure to insect bite itch...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My wife discovered an amazing cure to insect bite itch...

The floods and heavy rain here in Eastern Nebraska has brought with them a flood of mosquitoes and fleas. Some mosquitoes seem to like DEET. Our poodle is the flea magnet, and every time she comes indoors we have to give her a flea comb treatment. My wife's blood appears to be more tasty then mine, because she gets 4 or 5 times as many bites as I do.

For the last couple of years we've been using some stuff in a plastic yellow dropper bottle called "StingEze", which is 2% antiseptic and 20% Benzocaine, a pain killer. I bought it by the dozen. After application it would take about 10-15 minutes for the itch to subside, and the relief would last about 6 to 8 hours before you had to put another drop on the bite. After about three days of applying StingEze every 8 hours, the itch was gone for good.

My wife was browsing the Internet looking for something, when she ran across a web site that advertized a device that looked the size of a Sharpie pen. Battery powered, you were supposed to hold the tip of the device on the bite for 30 seconds, and the itch was supposed to go away permanently. The reviews weren't very good for that device but it roused my curiosity enough that I googled it. Here's what I've found:

It is claimed that the principle behind the device is that it heats the skin to the "pain flash point", which deactivates the insect venom. Most venom is either a simple organic acid, like ant sting venom, which is Formic Acid, the simplest organic acid, or it is a complex peptide or protein. Some suggest that the device deadens the nerve endings in the area, so the bite can't itch. I favor the first suggestion, because if the venom were still active but the nerve endings were dead, the area of the itch would continue to swell and increase in size as the venom diffused outward. My observations of my bites after applying the heat technique is that the bite stops itching immediately, and the area of redness and swelling immediately diminishes to a small, flat red spot about 1/8th of an inch or less. On occasions a return of a very slight itch sensation is for ever neutralized by a second heat application.

My googling turned up a technique which utilizes the average hair drier gun. Set your hair blower on high heat with the fastest fan speed. Turn on the blow gun and give it 10 or 15 seconds to come up to temperature. Direct the hot air coming from the nozzle of the blow drier onto the bite with the tip of the nozzle at 1 1/2 to 2 inches above the bite. The skin will begin to heat up and get hotter and hotter. BUT, in about 5 to 15 seconds you will experience a flash of pain. At that instant withdraw the nozzle and apply it to the next bite you need to treat, if any.

That's it. Simple. But, man oh man, it it effective. 8) And economical, too! And, the skin is not burned. No blisters, very little redness which, if it appears, goes away quickly. Just heating the skin up but not getting it hot enough to create the "flash of pain" doesn't work but does create redness and soreness.

I now have a dozen bottles ($30) of "StingEze" that I ordered last fall to have on hand for this season.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Re: My wife discovered an amazing cure to insect bite itch...

Yep, I guarantee that this works! I've used a hairdryer on my poison ivy and oak itch all the time. While it doesn't totally get rid of the itch causing agent after just 1 application with poison ivy and such, the itching does goes away for a significant amount of time, like 3-6 hours, maybe longer. I'm talking about total relief! If you're like me and you scratch til you're skin is scratched and cut, then this is a definite blessing!

It's cheap and very, very effective.

Comment

Hey, my 2 daughters (14 & 6) just flew into Omaha, going to visit family in Lincoln and GI! I was raised in Nebraska, but live in SoCal now...nice to know there is another Nebraska guy here!

mm0
      Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

I lived in GI before I moved here, to Lincoln. Lincoln is a GREAT city. GI, ... not so good. I partnered with a guy to sell computers and later ran my own computer consulting business. Run down, and politically corrupt. Glad I moved.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

My brother and my parents live in Lincoln, but my wife's parents are still in GI, although now, their address is technically Phillips. I went back last year...still enjoy 'going home', but don't get a chance to every year. I lived in Omaha for 4 years before moving out here, but most of my life was in GI.
          Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

We lived out in the country near Clarks, NE, where I taught science and math for 10 years. My kids went to a one room country school with grades K-8. My son went to the HS I taught at for his 9th grade. He tested out as a freshman in college ... such is the power of what was effectively home schooling.

When we moved to Grand Island my daughter had to go to Walnut Jr High. On her first day as 8th grader she was slammed up against a locker and a knife was put to her throat. She was kicked out of HS in the second semester of her Senior year on the testimony of a single girl who claimed my daughter was the thief who had been stealing money from kids. She finished with a GED and went to college, earning her BS in Business Admin. She now works for the SSA. The girl who accused her was caught stealing on the secret video cameras they installed the next year because the thefts didn't end when my daughter was expelled. We got an apology letter from the school, but never sued. It would have cost more than it was worth to my daughter, and she got a good lesson on justice.

Comment

Wow...luckily my experience was a lot different in school there. Glad to hear that your daughter moved on and didn't let it ruin her. I only hope that my daughters will have that kind of courage if something happens to them.

Comment

Ya. She never told us about the knife incident until she was in college. She joined the gang that attacked her just to get along, so it was easy for the HS admin to believe that she was the thief. In HS she didn't stay with the gang and did a lot of school drama stuff. Twenty years later she met the leader of that gang while walking to lunch from the Federal bldg where she worked. She was stunned to realize that the gal had locked locked herself in to the 1980s by language (slang), clothing and attitude. She was working minimum wage jobs and complaining about her opportunities.

Comment

80's huh...I wonder if we went to school together...I graduated in '89 from GISH.

Comment

Her abortive Sr year was 1984.

Comment

woodsmoke

Comment

GG, re NE--
                        As a kid living in Illinois, on family vacations, circa 1953-1960, used to visit my grandparents--Czechoslovakian farmers--in Crete and Wilber and surrounding small towns.
                        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

yeah, my brother graduated in 1986, but it was before my time...

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike
                            GG, re NE--
                            As a kid living in Illinois, on family vacations, circa 1953-1960, used to visit my grandparents--Czechoslovakian farmers--in Crete and Wilber and surrounding small towns.
                            Hey, I've been to Wilber! "Czech Capitol Of Nebraska", right? I visited it entirely by accident, in the summer of 1975, while driving home to Ohio from a camping trip to the Rockies. I wanted to avoid the freeway and see more of Nebraska, and just followed one of the "blue roads" on the map. We arrived in Wilber the week prior to their annual Czech Days festival, and had a great time browsing the glassware and other imported goods (this was during the Cold War, remember). Sorry to say the couple of glass items that I picked up there did not survive the intervening decades.

Great memories!

Comment

Yeah, dibl, some good memories. Good food, too, interesting Czech pastries (Kolaches).
                              My grandfather would hang out with his buddies in the "men's" pool hall, drinking beer and shooting pool and talking very loud when not working his fields. At night, there might be a dance at one of the small towns in a bar or country gathering facility, and people would come from miles around for some Polka action.
                              An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
                              X