This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CPUs tweaked to run Win 8

At least one of the chip people is going to work so that the chip is tweaked for Windows 8.

The thing that occured to me is what if MS creates a situation wherein if the chip doesn't see a windows system it doesn't run? Not mentioned in the article.

MS to have four versions of Win 8 specifically for the ARM chip.

The normal thought on this would be "so what?" So MS has four versions designed for a chip, but the implication is that they will be "co-designed".

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2385562,00.asp

woodsmoke

Re: CPUs tweaked to run Win 8

I see what you're saying there, hmm, that is troubling if it does become a win only sort of thing. If you think about it, Win would be making a great (for them) move if all the new pc hardware were made to run on solely on a Win OS, forcing people to buy there crap.
    Motherboard:ASUS P5Q SE PLUS<br />Videocard:EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB<br />Ram:G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB)<br />Processor:Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz

Comment

It wouldn't be the first time hardware manufacturers catered directly to Windows. Ever heard of a winmodem?

Not long ago there was some motherboard manufacturer coding their firmware tables specifically to provide bogus information to Linux, while providing correct information to Windows.
      Welcome newbies!
      Verify the ISO
      Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Originally posted by Telengard
        It wouldn't be the first time hardware manufacturers catered directly to Windows. Ever heard of a winmodem?

Not long ago there was some motherboard manufacturer coding their firmware tables specifically to provide bogus information to Linux, while providing correct information to Windows.
        Oh yes i do remember that and even for Windows there were issues due to that. Troubling it is!

Comment

Working...
        X