X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coffee spilt on laptop!!

HI All
    Just got a call from a friend who just spilt a cup of coffee on his laptop !!! as far as I know the machine powered down pretty much straight away so I'm thinking its shorted out.He managed to take the HD out and that seems untouched.
    I told him it does not sound good, but I'm wondering has anyone here come across this problem and found a happy ending ?
    Going over tomorrow to dismantle it and see.

Re: Coffe spilt on laptop!!

I wouldn't think it is terminal (as in dead forever). I've heard different things, but maybe you guys could get some ideas from these guys:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=spill...ient=firefox-a
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Re: Coffee spilt on laptop!!

Yeah I heard you need to be pretty fast in drying it out , he cant dismantle it (wont ) and I cant get over to him till tomorrow. Also I think if there was sugar in the drink it could be a long term problem with acids or something.

Comment

So he needs to dry it out: hang it up, hoping the liquid will mostly drain out; maybe gently rotate it back and forth as it is hanging up to coax the liquid to flow "out."

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

He can be sure of one thing - If he didn't have java before, he does now! (Sorry, I couldn't resist the opportunity!)
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

The liquid needs to come out ASAP. But, if it actually shorted a circuit and damaged an electronic component to two, it doesn't matter.

On the other hand, if it just shorted a key switch, and you can dry it out, it may come back just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
              He can be sure of one thing - If he didn't have java before, he does now! (Sorry, I couldn't resist the opportunity!)
              Now that is funny

Thanks guys . I'm getting ready to dismantle it, I don't really want to but I have done it before. They seem so fragile, last time was a cup of tea ( not the same guy ) only had to change the keyboard luckily. The local laptop repairers wanted well over £100 to do it!! keyboard cost £25 delivered and about 10 mins work. Maybe I should change my job ?

Comment

Let us know how it goes

Comment

If your cleanup is all that the laptop requires, and it restarts/works just fine afterwards, grab your self some cling style plastic wrap, rip off a piece big enough to go over the face of the laptop, and you have a very cheap 'spill guard' that doesn't interfere with use of the keyboard. And, if it rips, it is easily replaced. WAY cheaper than a new keyboard, and WAY, WAY LOTS cheaper than a new PC.
                  Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Since the keyboard is coming out anyway, I'd consider washing it. Most regular keyboards take washing quite well. It won't cost you anything to try. People on the Vintage Computer Forum do this sort of thing all the time because they like to restore vintage equipment which can often require more than coffee cleanup. Search the site if you don't find a quick solution. Also, if you post there, you will likely get an enthusiastic and knowledgeable response to this exact problem. http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/index.php

Comment

open it up, and leave it in a bag of rice- that'll get all the moisture out.
                      # make install --not-war

Comment

OUCH!
                        I got beer on / in one once. It wasn't mine so i was slightly nervous.

I took out the HD, RAM, battery and rinsed each separately with lukewarm water.

I then rinsed the rest completely and let it dry upside down on a towel.
                        Don't use a blow dryer with hot air!!!

After putting it back together it worked fine.

Sugar / milk is not good, especially if it has had time to dry over night.

Hope you get it set
                        HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                        4 GB Ram
                        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

seems he prised the side of the laptop open and drained all the liquid removed the HD and ram and kept the laptop in the airing cupboard ..nice and warm.I just reassembled it started it and nothing cleaned the ram switched on and ..bang booted no worries! There was alot of beeping on boot but I think thats because the keys are sticking. When typing text lots of the keys either dont work or they have multiples of different letters. He has decided on a new keyboard £21 delivered , so I think he's really lucky this time

Comment

That was close
                            HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                            4 GB Ram
                            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I would have been inclined to put the keyboard in the dishwasher, but I have to admit that £21 delivered is certainly a great price for a no worries solution.

Comment

Working...
                              X