X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 8.04, work in progress?

I've been a long-time Linux user. KDE has been my desktop of choice since
    1999 although lately I have been using GNOME a bit more often. In recent years
    I have been moving backwards and forwards between Ubuntu / GNOME and
    OpenSuSE / KDE.

I've come to value Ubuntu as a rock-solid distro that needs very little work before
    it'll do what you want. The thing is, I feel more comfortable with KDE and especially
    those applications based on it like KMail, Konqueror and Kate.

I thought Kubuntu Hardy Heron would be a good opportunity to try KDE4.0
    so I now have it running on my machine. Installation was a total breeze, no problems
    in hardware or internet detection, also the proprietary NVidia driver worked first up.
    Having got it running, though, it seems Kubuntu / KDE4 is very much a work in progress,
    I keep running into funny quirks and irritants.

Several KDE system settings require root access. My KDE 3.5.7 simply asks me for
    the administrator password whenever I have to adjust time and date or do
    similar things. This doesn't happen with this Kubuntu KDE4, nor can I log in as root.
    My trusted "Ubuntu Hacks" handbook tells me I can create a root user by defining a
    root password. I tried this only to have Kubuntu tell me "root login not permitted".
    I overcame the obstacle by opening a console and sudoing SystemSettings that way.
    Seems a complicated way of doing it.

Autologin doesn't seem to work. I could set it up OK but now I get the message
    "autologin authentification failed" at every boot-up.

KMail is KDE's preferred email client. It's in there and it works fine but it isn't
    shown on my KMenu.

I hate doubleclicking my mouse . . . it's soooo Windows! System Settings gives you
    the option to set the mouse to single clicking, but this has no effect, the double click is still there.

I don't like wallpaper on my desktop. However, the option NOT to have wallpaper seems
    to have disappeared. I can change wallpapers, but it seems I must have them.

It seems I have to do more downloading to get some icons, screensavers and themes I
    like but I've reached my monthly download limit so this will have to wait.

I know you can get any Linux distro to do what you want eventually. The thing is, can I
    be bothered putting in the extra work? The jury is still out at this stage. Meanwhile I'm
    back with OpenSuSE 10.3 and KDE 3.5.7

Re: Kubuntu 8.04, work in progress?

You are comparing OpenSuSe with KDE 3.5.7 with Kubuntu with KDE 4.0. That the wrong start you give Kubuntu. KDE 4.0 is still beta software, has a lot of bugs and annoying lack of features. On the other hand you have OpenSuSe with a KDE that has gone through 5 major versions and 7 minors, a fully developed WM.

An equal comparisations would be Kubuntu with KDE 3.5.9 and OpenSuSe with preferably the same KDE version.

Comment

Agreed. If you want a real comparison, then remove Kubuntu w/KDE 4.x (reformat the partitions) and reinstall 8.04 with KDE 3.5.9. After pulling in all the updates/upgrades you'll have a very stable system. NOTE: If you have a separate /home partition, you will want to reformat it as well, as it contains hidden folders/settings from KDE 4.x. Start fresh, and I'm sure you will be pleased.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
        Agreed. If you want a real comparison, then remove Kubuntu w/KDE 4.x (reformat the partitions) and reinstall 8.04 with KDE 3.5.9. After pulling in all the updates/upgrades you'll have a very stable system. NOTE: If you have a separate /home partition, you will want to reformat it as well, as it contains hidden folders/settings from KDE 4.x. Start fresh, and I'm sure you will be pleased.
        Thanks, Snowhog and Tecumseh, I might do that! by the way, I never bother with a separate /home partition. I did try this once or twice in the past, only to find that the old stuff never worked right after an upgrade.
        Ausmuso

Comment

Originally posted by ausmuso
          ...I never bother with a separate /home partition.
          To each their own. As long as you are aware of the risk you take by not having a separate /home partition. Putting the users home directory directly under the root ( / ) file system means that should you experience a problem that requires a reinstall to fix, you loose everything.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Not Necessarily. Many Linux distributions now offer to simply rename the old user folders, and create a new one. Leaving the file system mostly intact.

One could also use a Live CD, and transfer the Home folder to another location, prior to reinstalling. Admittedly, that would be a pain.

I generally keep my important data on a separate drive anyway. Just keeping the Linux info on the Linux partition. So I'm too worried about loosing my Home directory.

Besides, most of the configuration data would be for a different installation, and may cause startup issues (I never run a stock install for long...).
            The answers are out there...

Comment

Working...
            X