Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Annoyances

Hello Everyone,

I have been using kubuntu for a number of years and I am generally happy with it.
    Though I have a number of issues that I have been wondering about if it is for lack of proper set-up, or improper use, or lack of knowledge on my side.
    In any event comments would be welcome.

This is my system:

Operating System: Kubuntu 22.04
    KDE Plasma Version: 5.24.7
    KDE Frameworks Version: 5.92.0
    Qt Version: 5.15.3
    Kernel Version: 5.15.0-112-generic (64-bit)
    Graphics Platform: X11
    Processors: 6 × Intel® Core™ i5-8500 CPU @ 3.00GHz
    Memory: 7.6 GiB of RAM
    Graphics Processor: Mesa Intel® UHD Graphics 630​

System files are on SSD, user files, about 300GB, are on a 7.2k RPM HD.
    Is this normal behavior?

- Once or twice a week it takes about 4 to 6 minutes before the system is usable after log in.
    As it turns out the plasmeshell process is furiously writing at about 60MiB/s to 70MiB/s.
    Reading up on it older versions used to write some log file with some errors and users eventually ran out of disk space.
    After that initial time passes for me the system behaves normally.
    I could not fine any files that were oversize...
    What and why is the plasmeshell process writing?

- After log in, again, once or twice a week the system is downloading about 300MB or 400MB data from a kubuntu system site.
    As my internet connection is quite slow, this takes about 4 to 6 minutes. This process sort of monopolizes the network, even e-mail reading is slow.
    Unfortunately the system monitor does not show that which process is using the network.
    I also do upgrade the system regularly, whenever updates come up.
    Just curious, what is the system downloading?

- I would like to configure the desktop that whenever I move the cursor out of the screen nothing would happen. Right now, depending where I move the cursor, the active window might disappear,
    and sort of other things pop up. Sometimes the my active window comes back when I move the cursor back to the screen, sometimes I have to specifically click on a region of the screen to get it back.
    Very annoying!
    In an older version of the desktop one could configure that nothing would happen if one moves the cursor out, it never did work for me for some reason.
    In this version I do not even find a place where this could be configured. Has it been removed or just well hidden? Does it work?
    How do I eradicate this behavior?

- Firefox does not load some pages, the padlock on the top is crossed with a red line signifying the site is not safe. Reloading the page it loads correctly, with the url starting with https.
    Sometimes I have to reload the page twice before it shows up. This "feature" sort of comes and goes, but recently it seems to be permanent feature.
    Again, I update Firefox regularly, and this behavior was with both the snap installed version and in the non-snap installed version.

Thanks for listening and for the help!
    Peter
Working...
X