This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Error Message on Installing Java

I am a total newb, escaping Windows for Kubuntu. I have set up my machine as a dual-boot for now. In Kubuntu, Firefox told me I needed to install a Java plug-in, so I duly downloaded the .bin file, created a directory, and tried to install it. The process aborted with the following error message:

./jre-6u18-linux-i586-rpm.bin: 338: cannot create install.sfx.2898: Permission denied./jre-6u18-linux-i586-rpm.bin: 338: cannot create install.sfx.2898: Permission denied

I have not been able to find anything about the .install.sfx.2898 file. I would greatly appreciate any help. (Please speak slowly and in small words. 1) I'm very old. 2) I'm not all that bright to begin with. 3) I have virtually no experience with Kubuntu.) Many thanks.

Don

Re: Error Message on Installing Java

Try downloading and installing the other .bin file. RPMs are not (natively) supported under Kubuntu and other debain based distros

Comment

Re: Error Message on Installing Java

Originally posted by Don

so I duly downloaded the .bin file
      This is the wrong approach for a noob. You'll only get into more trouble downloading software and attempting to install it. Use your Kubuntu repositories and install the pre-packaged applications from there.

I'm away from my Linux system at the moment, but the package you need is called "sun-java6-jre" or something very close to that.

Comment

Working...
      X