This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[User Fix] User Management broken - KDE 4.4.0

Does anyone have any information about User Management after the KDE 4.4.0 update? Currently User Management is not working and gives 2 error messages. So far the only thing I have found was this.

For anyone who's interested about the User Management problem, I've learned that KDE itself doesn't ship with a user management module but rather the distro provides a plugin which adds the "User Management" module into KDE's "Sysytem Settings". Apparently KDE 4.4 is not picking up this plugin.

Unfortunately, I don't know what this particular "plugin" is at the moment or how to fix this. Just wanted to add that it's apparently not a KDE problem to the discussion.
    Can anyone provide any information about this?

Re: User Management broken after KDE 4.4.0 upgrade...

I've filed a bug report at bugs.kde.org - Bug 226754 - User Management fails to run
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hey thanks Snowhog! Hopefully this bug will get fixed in the near future. The quote I posted above was from someone that asked about this on the KDE forum. Hopefully this will get fixed pretty soon. Thanks again for posting the bug report.

Comment

mine runs, but it tells me there is no user management and that an upgrade must have removed it! :|

KDE 4.4 is so beautifull, but......

Comment

I'm sure that it will be remedied pretty soon. Likely with updates to KDE 4.4.0.

Comment

I have the problem half way solved. I installed kdeadmin, it pulls in kuser and kcron, this gets rid of the kdesudo error at start up, (happens if you only install kuser) and User Manager now works from the menu. User Manager still does not work from System Settings but the problem is half solved. Now if I just knew how to fix this in System Settings.....

Comment

Snowhog, I added what I have to the bug report.

Comment

Saw that.

This 'issue' has happened before, early in the development of KDE 4 IIRC. I don't remember what 'fixed' it or how long it took. I think Rog131 will have something to say about this. Rog131, are you listening?

Comment

Well, KDE closed out this bug report because it is a Ubuntu issue.

Edit: I tried creating a new bug report but it just gives me a continuous loop to the "How to report a bug" page. The built in bug reporting too just keeps giving me stuff about devices.... I did a search in Launchpad for this bug but did not find one that matches. I would like to copy the information from the report that was closed out to a new one in Launchpad but I am stuck....

Comment

Just read a bug report from a link in the KDE forum. The python-qt4 - 4.7.0-2ubuntu3 package is supposed to be the solution to the issue. We will just have to wait for this package to appear in the repos.

Here is the bug report.

https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubun...t4/+bug/514796

Comment

Here is the solution to the User Manager issue.

python-qt4 in /usr/share/pyshared/PyQt4/uic/uiparser.py at line 184 invokes the string method of a Qstring.

But lately, Qstring does not have anymore such method, meaning that python-qt4 in /usr/share/pyshared/PyQt4/uic/uiparser.py breaks on QT 4.6 and on installations of kde 4.4 on ubuntu. For instance, with a kubuntu karmic distro upgraded to kde 4.4 using the instructions on the kubuntu website fails to have a working user-management module in the system settings.

Please have line 184 of python-qt4 in /usr/share/pyshared/PyQt4/uic/uiparser.py

from

bg_name = bg_i18n.string

to

bg_name = str(bg_i18n)

kmb42vt (a LinuxMint forum member), apachelogger (a KDE forum member) came up with and tested this solution. I edited the file and after re-booting the system User Manager is back to perfect working order.

Comment

Interesting. We'll see if that fixes this when it hits the repository.

Comment

Nice fix, exploder. I made the change you describe and it fixed user management for me.

Comment

I thought that it was only me. I don't know why it works for some people and for some it doesn't. I have asked today on other forum if it works, and one person said that it does. I will wait for an update......

Comment

Originally posted by exploder
                              Here is the solution to the User Manager issue.

Please have line 184 of python-qt4 in /usr/share/pyshared/PyQt4/uic/uiparser.py

from

bg_name = bg_i18n.string

to

bg_name = str(bg_i18n)
                              Nice! Just gave this a try. Yup, works like a champ. Such a simple fix. Given that, I'm sure that the fix will be in the pipeline quickly. But until then, this is such a simple fix.

Thank you exploder. Good find.

Comment

Working...
                              X