This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

problem mounting external USB drive (fuse: mount failed: Invalid argument

I'm trying to mount an external USB drive and having problems. I last mounted this drive about
    a month ago and have been using it on a Windows laptop. Now when I try to mount it on Linux
    with:
    mount -t ntfs /dev/sdc1 /media/usb

I get an error message:

fuse: mount failed: Invalid argument

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get this disk drive mounted?

Jim Anderson

Re: problem mounting external USB drive (fuse: mount failed: Invalid argument

On a fully installed and up to date Karmic, you should just have to plug in the USB device. The Device Notifier will pop-up and show that it has been detected and offer you choices as to what to do with it. Additionally, it will be listed in Dolphin, and you should just have to click on the device. You will be prompted for your password. If you want read/write access to this ntfs formatted drive, you need to have the ntfs-3g package installed, and it should already be by default.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

When I insert the USB connector, the Device Notifier does pop up and Dolphin comes up as it should.
      I get the following error message in Dolphin:

An error occured while accessing 'jjaLibrary'. the system responded: mount: wrong fs type. Bad option. Bad superblock on /dev/sdc1.
      missing codepage or helper program, or other error in
      some cases usefule info is found in syslog - try
      dmesg | tail or so
      [note - it looks like the error message is truncated at this point]

It looks like the meta data for the ntfs file system is not legit, yet when I run it on my windows XP
      PCs, it works fine there.

Are there any programs on Linux, similar to fsck, that can be used to check the integrity of an ntfs file system?

Jim

Comment

First, what version of Windoze do you run? Second, you don't by chance, have the data on the USB device encrypted?

Comment

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium on my laptop and Windows XP on another PC. When not
          mounted on Linux, the USB disk drive is usually mounted on the Windows 7 laptop. If there is
          an incompatibility, it is more likely with Windows 7.

I am no encrypting data on the disk drive.

Jim

Comment

FYI - I tried mounting my USB harddrive on my laptop today when the laptop was boot with 9.10 Karmic Koala. I had not trouble mounting. Have to wonder why it mounts on one host, but not the other?

Jim

Comment

On the system with the mount problem, make sure your user is a member of the "fuse" group.

Code:
              man usermod
              if necessary.

Comment

I added my user id to the fuse group. When dolphin comes up, I get the same error message
                when I try to access the USB hard drive.

Also, when I try to run:

mount -t ntfs /dev/sdc1 /mnt/usb

I am doing so as root, so I don't think privileges would be a problem.

Also, I tried rebooting my system and tried mounting. That does not help either.

Jim

Comment

This is ancient, but you might want to try the ntfs-3g filesystem type:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3084679.0

Comment

Thank you for the suggestion. I had alrady tried using -t=ntfs-3g, but it did not work. Tried it again just now to verify.

At this point, I really consider this a bug because I can mount it on other systems, including Windows and Linux with no problem.

Comment

When booted into Karmic, plug in the USB drive, open a console and type:
                      Code:
                      sudo blkid
                      sudo fdsk -l
                      Copy the output of each and paste in your reply.

Comment

When I enter blkid, I get the following

/dev/sda1: TYPE="swap"
                        /dev/sda2: LABEL="/home" UUID="e4864443-7793-47fc-90b0-909937d6387f" TYPE="ext3"
                        /dev/sda3: UUID="ed708a72-3fbc-4ea8-b7c1-2bb6bfd2ed6c" TYPE="ext3"
                        /dev/sda4: UUID="a9e5fcb1-cba6-4754-8c43-84af50fbecba" TYPE="ext4"
                        /dev/sdb1: UUID="8d8b0037-8aa0-4a4d-9991-483a2637ba98" SEC_TYPE="ext2" TYPE="ext3"
                        /dev/sdb2: UUID="c03c51f4-698c-4ff1-b042-7955bd4928de" SEC_TYPE="ext2" TYPE="ext3"
                        /dev/sdb3: UUID="943842c5-4704-4fad-a347-637751a1bdf0" SEC_TYPE="ext2" TYPE="ext3"
                        /dev/sdc1: UUID="302EFDC72EFD865E" LABEL="jjaLibrary" TYPE="ntfs"

For fdisk -l, I get the following:

Disk /dev/sda: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
                        255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders
                        Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
                        Disk identifier: 0x000a9a78

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
                        /dev/sda1 1 243 1951866 82 Linux swap / Solaris
                        /dev/sda2 1276 8924 61440592+ 83 Linux
                        /dev/sda3 8925 19457 84606322+ 83 Linux
                        /dev/sda4 * 244 1275 8289540 83 Linux

Partition table entries are not in disk order

Disk /dev/sdb: 20.4 GB, 20419854336 bytes
                        255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 2482 cylinders
                        Disk identifier: 0x0856d0f4

/dev/sdb1 1 127 1020096 83 Linux
                        /dev/sdb2 * 128 765 5124735 83 Linux
                        /dev/sdb3 766 2482 13791802+ 83 Linux

Disk /dev/sdc: 1000.2 GB, 1000204886016 bytes
                        255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 121601 cylinders
                        Disk identifier: 0xe8900690

/dev/sdc1 1 121601 976760001 7 HPFS/NTFS

Comment

A question from left field but, when you attempt to mount the USB drive with:
                          Code:
                          sudo mount -t ntfs /dev/sdc1 /media/usb
                          The mount-point usb does exist in /media, yes?

Comment

When you plug in the usb drive, do you have a "/media/usb" folder? If not you have to create one.

And you are using sudo with that mount command, correct?
                            Boot Info Script

Comment

OK, that last comment helped fix the problem. When I tried the following command:

mount -t ntfs /dev/sdc1 /media/usb

It worked. I had been using

mount -t ntfs /dev/sdc1 /mnt/usb

The directory /media/usb exists and /mnt usb is a symbolic link to /media/usb.
                              In my opinion, this is a bug, but I can certainly live with mounting at /media/usb.

Thank you to all for the time and comments in helping to work this problem out!!

Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X