This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I dual boot with windows xp pro?

First and foremost I would like to apologize I know ms is a bad word but I'm stuck between a hard place and a rock. I need to install windows xp pro but I would like to be able to dual boot and keep kubuntu. I would really appreciate you help in matter. Thanks for your advice.

Re: How do I dual boot with windows xp pro?

How to dual boot Linux and Windows XP (Linux installed first) -- the step-by-step guide with screenshots
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Have you looked in to virtualization - running Windows within Linux? Virtualbox is very good.

virtualbox.org will tell you what you need to know.

[img width=400 height=320]http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/6772/virtualboxwindowsxpsp3s.png[/img]

Comment

VB does have 'issues.' VMware Player is favored by many - myself included.

Comment

thanks for you response but the only thing is that I have two iphone 3gs ones my wife and the other is mine, and I also have software that it gets stuck when I use virtual box. I have autoCad software. I already paid for that software and I really need to start using it again. I also have a adobe cs2 and it works but takes a long time to work with complicated graphics. So what do you guys recommend?

Comment

Snowhog: What are those issues (out of curiosity)? I've found that VB seems run Windows well but struggles running Linux on Linux. Not that I need Windows much at all these days.

Also, don't you have to pay for the workstation edition and is it worth the money?

Comment

famous3warriors, it's so easy to setup a dual boot with XP, you could have had it done by now!
              You need to ask these guys what limitations/drawbacks would there be running those specific apps using some virtual solution (e.g., issues MAY be hardware, graphics).
              An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by simonh
                What are those issues (out of curiosity)?
                i tried to install linux xp on kubuntu using VB but it says some mount file system error and drop into a shell without continuing
                but when i tried a live cd it works

Comment

XP Pro is running great on my machine in Virtualbox ( the Sun PUEL edition, not OSE). Be sure and install the Guest Additions for full function. But if I were going to run a heavy duty program such as Autocad, I would probably use a dual boot for that.

Comment

I use VMware Player to run Win XP. But no fancy graphics are needed for my Windows apps.

Detonate is right -- if you're into the hottest Windows video games, or you've got Autocad or a heavy-duty database, then your performance will be better on a native Windows installation.

FYI, I benchmarked a large MS Visual FoxPro proprietary database a year or two ago, on the same hardware platform, first as a native Win XP installation, and then in a VMware VM. The measured performance penalty was only 5% in the VM. But it's fairly high-end hardware -- if the hardware was less potent, the performance difference would most likely get larger.

Comment

Ok guys thanks for your advice I greatly appreciate the time and effort You spent to answer the question. My hardware is 500 ghd, no graphics card, 4 gigs of memory. I am going to try to virtual box first then I will try dual booting. Thanks once again.

Comment

Originally posted by famous3warriors
                        no graphics card
                        Doubt that, unless you are running a headless server.

Comment

I think he means his graphics are provided by his MB, and he does not have a separate card.

Comment

Working...
                          X