X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saving edits to the kmenu doesn't work

Hi to all!
    I've just upgraded from 9.04 amd64 to 9.10amd64 and now kmenu does not save changes any more.
    With 9.04 I did not have such problem.
    Should I check something in particular or it is a regression and I have to open a bug?
    Thank you,
    Xwang

Saving edits to the kmenu doesn't work

Xwang, I moved from 9.04 to 9.10 amd64 when it went beta. Kmenu is working well on my 64b Sony VAIO.

Did you verify the iso and the LiveCD before you installed it?
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Re: Saving edits to the kmenu doesn't work

I've updated the system, not reinstalled it.
      Maybe there is something not correct in some config file?
      Xwang

Comment

Possibly. You can edit it if you understand or can figure out xml synatx. It is located at:
        /home/youracctname/.config/menusapplications-kmenuedit.menu

By the way, did you do some global permission changes in your home account? The file above should have the following permissions:
        -rw--r--r--

If you are missing the first "w" then you don't have write permission. That change would have had to been done by you.

Also, check out /etc/menu/README
        and
        /etc/menu-methods/README
        and
        /usr/share/menu/README
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

The other thing to check, is who owns that file. If it isn't the user - shows root - then that too will cause the issue.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Good point, Snowhog!

I wish I would have thought of it but, all things considered, I feel fortunate to have thought of the first part!

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
              Possibly. You can edit it if you understand or can figure out xml synatx. It is located at:

By the way, did you do some global permission changes in your home account? The file above should have the following permissions:
              -rw--r--r--

If you are missing the first "w" then you don't have write permission. That change would have had to been done by you.

Also, check out /etc/menu/README
              and
              /etc/menu-methods/README
              and
              /usr/share/menu/README
              I've checked all the above files permissions and they are ok, but it still does not save the changes.
              Xwang

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                Correct location for applications-kmenuedit.menu is:
                ~/.config/menus
                (~/ is the 'shortcut' for /home/your_user_name)
                The file should be be owned by the user and the permissions as GG stated. On my system, the file appears as:
                Code:
                ls -l ~/.config/menus
                -rw-r--r-- 1 paul paul 887 2009-12-31 23:26 applications-kmenuedit.menu
                Assuming Xwang is xwang on his system, then the file listing should show:
                -rw-r--r-- 1 xwang xwang 887 2009-12-31 23:26 applications-kmenuedit.menu
                If it doesn't, ...
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Xwang
                  I've checked all the above files permissions and they are ok, but it still does not save the changes.
                  Xwang
                  I gave you the README files as documents to read, not to check the ownership and permissions on. My fault, my request should have clearer. The README docs give vital information as to how the debian and KDE menu systems work.

Comment

I have understood that, but since there is no file permissions error and all files are in the correct position, I suppose that it is a strange bug in the application (I've opened a bug in kde).
                    Meanwhile I've discovered a workaround:
                    if I copy an item and modify the copy it is correctly saved.
                    Xwang

Comment

Strange indeed.

I've got KK 9.10 64b running on three different laptops and none exhibit that problem. Out of curiosity what is your computer make and model #?

Comment

Asus pro5avn
                        Xwang

Comment

Here is an interesting site, including the talkbacks.
                          http://www.linlap.com/wiki/asus+n50vn

Comment

Working...
                          X