This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Files written by Kubuntu not visible in Windows

Now this makes for a good autumn mystery story.
    I was delighted to see that Linux (in this case, Kubuntu) is finally able to write to NTFS partitions. I managed to create a folder on an NTFS partition, and I can also see it in Windows. So far, so good. However, when I saved today files onto two different Windows partitions, the files stay invisible in Windows although I can see and access them in Kubuntu. One of the two partitions is NTFS, the other one FAT32. I already checked "show hidden files" in Windows, but it didn't make any difference. In Kubuntu, I saved files as well with OpenOffice as well as with Dolphin, which makes this mystery look like a system issue then.

Re: Files written by Kubuntu not visible in Windows

Since no one else answered, I'll give you my random thoughts on the subject. I suppose this is a problem with Windows and perhaps it's a user permissions issue. Also, I'm wondering if there is not some confusion about which directory you are in. Without using the GUI, try going directly to the directory in question and creating a test file with Linux, then (in Windows) look for the file without using a GUI, eg type "type filename" or use the "dir" command. Does that work?

Comment

I'd say, try first with FAT32. That file system does not support permission settings, so that part is excluded then.
      Once your problem is solved please edit the first post of your topic and add [SOLVED] in front of the subject. In that way, others can benefit from your experience!

Comment

Well, as I said, it was two partitions, one NTFS, the other one FAT32. I noticed later that Kubuntu didn't display the files the third time I rebooted. I have now migrated to openSUSE (also most recent KDE) because there were other problems too. If the same issue comes up with openSUSE I'll get back to this.

Comment

Working...
        X