Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Solved] Where can I find the missing application manuals?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Solved] Where can I find the missing application manuals?

Hello,

I have just set up 9.10 and everything went well, except for missing applications manuals. "i.e. kmail, kontact, k3b and amarok to name just a few". I've Googled and searched here to no avail before posting, would someone please let me know where I need to look to find and fill in these missing manuals, thanks in advance!

Tommy2

Re: Where can I find the missing application manuals?

Are you saying, that when you click on K Menu > Applicaitons > Help, The KDE Help Center doesn't open?
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

you looked at
      /usr/share/doc/kde/HTML/en/kubuntu
      ?
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Sometimes

Sometimes the error "The file or folder help:/k3b/index.help does not exist" really means that there aren't documents.

Browsing to the > K3b home and downloading the sources for the k3b-1.68 and k3b-1.0.5.

The older k3b-1.0.5 has the manuals. The newer k3b-1.68 version doesn't have the manuals.

Browsing to the > Amarok and downloading the amarok-2.2.0 sources. There are no manuals.

But why

Why it is showing that there are manuals

Earlier > HOWTO find Kubuntu's manual / reference / guide / documentation / help

The KDE Help Center is showing the "Manual" link if the .desktop file is having the "X-DocPath".

If you think that this a bug > Reporting Bugs

Why there are not (new) manuals.

Quoting the "GreyGeek" ( > Re: Better late than never)
        ...Because developers usually have full time jobs to support themselves and their families, and they VOLUNTEER to write this software in their spare time FOR FREE...

If you want to help

> Topic: Getting those missing application manuals

> Topic: Project Timelord Announced >> Announcing Project Timelord:
        Help wanted!

Would you like to help Kubuntu achieve world domination? We have big plans for the future, and would love help in all areas, including packaging, bug triage, artwork, user support, promotion and much more. This is going to be big! If you are interested in making Kubuntu the best Linux distribution in existence, feel free to contact us to get started.
        > Editing DTD Docbook files (index.docbook):
        anda_skoa
        KDE Developer

Since the hard part is writing good content, active contributors of the documentation project have repeatedly said that even plain text contributions are welcome and that they will take care of the proper reformatting.

DIY, adding the old manuals

Example.

1) Downloading the k3b-1.0.5.tar.bz2

2) Clicking the archive k3b-1.0.5.tar.bz2 -> Ark -> Extract.

3) Making a directory: /usr/share/doc/kde/HTML/en/k3b/

4) Copying everything from the /k3b-1.0.5/doc/ to the /usr/share/doc/kde/HTML/en/k3b/.

5) K > Applications > Help > Application Manuals > Multimedia > K3b

Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
        1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
        2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Rog131, thanks for the feedback I'll follow your guidance and let you know how I progress. Being I'm just starting out, I guess it would be best for me to go back to the older version(s) and study those application manuals to get up and running, then see about contributing back to the group.

Comment

The KDE manuals are also online > HOWTO find Kubuntu's manual / reference / guide / documentation / help >> KDE Documentation:
            Welcome

Welcome to the KDE documentation site. This page holds the complete KDE User Documentation in over 25 languages. Thanks to the enormous efforts by our documentation and translation teams you can access thousands of pages of documentation.
            >>> The K3b Handbook
            >>> The Amarok Handbook
            >>> The KMail Handbook
            >>> etc...
            Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
            1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
            2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

The feedback received to my question has put me on the right track, thanks to all it is appreciated!

Comment

Working...
              X