This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OpenOffice 3.1.1 crash

I'm using Kubuntu 9.10, & I've got a problem with with OpenOffice 3.1.1. When I try to create a label File > New > Label, the application crashes with the message: "Due to an unexpected error, OpenOffice.org crashed. All the files you were working on will now be saved. ..etc.."
    This *only* happens when I want to use the "Labels" feature, none of the other menu items cause this, & it doesn't matter if I'm using Writer or Calc. There are no debugging reports I can add to this, as nothing else appears but that "Unexpected error" message.
    I've checked through Launchpad for bugs, & found nothing that is like this. Some posts in the Kubuntu forums regarding OpenOffice general crashes in 'Hardy' (IIRC), suggested removing 'openoffice.org-kde'. I tried this, & OpenOffice works just fine. I can create & print labels. But of course OpenOffice then reverts to its own colors & style.
    Reinstall 'openoffice.org-kde', & OpenOffice crashes as soon as I click on the "Label" menu item.
    Anyone else had a similar problem?

OpenOffice also did the same thing in Jaunty, when I upgraded OOo from 3.0.1 to 3.1.1.

OpenOffice.org - 3.1.1 OOO310m19 (Build 9420)
    Kubuntu 9.10 (Final release)
    KDE 4.3.2
    kernel: 2.6.31-14-generic #48-Ubuntu SMP Fri Oct 16 14:05:01 UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    NVIDIA driver version: 185.18.36 (GeForce 8500GT)

Re: OpenOffice 3.1.1 crash

openoffice.org-kde has several problems. (Hint: try updating your extensions)
    Best to remove the openoffice.org-kde package. This will not interfere with the operation of OOo itself; it just looks a little tacky. But it works properly without the kde package.
    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

As I said, I've already removed 'openoffice.org-kde' & the application works fine. I've never had to do this before with OO.o, so it seems IMO there's something in 3.1.1 which doesn't like openoffice.org-kde, or bugs in openoffice.org-kde, as you said.
      However this is /not/ a problem in my Mandriva or Sabayon KDE installations. So it would appear IMHO that this is peculiar to Kubuntu. But without any logs or debug reports that developers can work off, I think it would be rather pointless to report it in Launchpad.

Comment

I had diffrent problem with it. You can see it here http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3107536.0

Resolution:

Remove openoffice.org-kde and install openoffice.org-gtk.

Comment

Originally posted by CH~
          I had diffrent problem with it. You can see it here http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3107536.0

Resolution:

Remove openoffice.org-kde and install openoffice.org-gtk.
          Thanx a lot, CH~ !
          This helped to solve my issue w extension updates as well - clicking on "check updates" under "Manage extensions" was leading to same "no message, no trace" shut down of OO. And icons in status bar are back as well. Great tip,CH~ !

Comment

Working...
          X