X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox--strange experience

First time for everything.

I installed 9.10 alpha 6 on a new partition. Thought I try out the new Firefox Installer (under K > Applications > Internet). Worked great. For fun I opened Firefox, opened Bookmarks (menu at top), and there was a extensive set of my bookmarks. It was an old set, going back some months. Where did this come from? I had absolutely no personal data moved into my 9.10 /home yet, no external media connected (e.g., no flash drive containing my Firefox profiles), nothing, nada--a brand new OS installation. My best guess is that some FX extension like XMarks (Foxmarks) had something to do with it. I did see a note that 5 add-ons had been installed to my new Firefox (I didn't ask for them). However, I don't ever recall seeing such a note in the past in my other Firefox installations (in other OSs), nor did I ever willfully install any Bookmark add-ons (I use only NoScript, nothing else). How bizarre, huh? If this is true, then an old copy of my bookmarks is on a Firefox server (I would think). Kind of an invasion of privacy I'd say (if this is true). I un-installed this Firefox, deleted the profile (in my .mozilla folder), re-booted, re-installed Firefox, this time I saw no notice of any add-ons being installed, and this time my Bookmarks was empty (as it should be). I suppose my next step would be to see (at the FX site) how one removes himself from this game (of having his personal data on their server).
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Re: Firefox--strange experience

postscript: Just looked, and there is no Xmarks (Foxmarks) account with my email address, so that would appear to rule out my theory (above); unless there is some other add-on, but even then, I have never installed anything in FX except for NoScript.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Sorry guys to bother you ... oops ...
      In the way past, I did use my current 9.10 /home partition for 9.04; and during the installation of 9.10 today, although I did reformat the / partition for 9.10 (that is mandatory), I did not reformat that /home partition (forgetting it had been used before). So that is where the new FX (in 9.10) got my profile today. Explains it. Again, sorry for the sideshow. Live and learn.

Comment

Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yes,

You can say that again!
          I've had two PCs on at my desk since this afternoon, one with 8.04.3 and one messing with the new 9.10 alpha 6 installation; I think it's time tonight to shut one of those down and stick to whatever one remains on! And maybe a short break is in order, too.

Comment

Ah.. the mess a little bit of paranoia, induced by the world we live in, can get us into
            HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
            4 GB Ram
            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Oh yes, indeed, Fintan

To make it more dramatic, there was very little evidence that anything from an old /home was even there or had ever been there. I finally found a BASH history hidden file containing a few old commands I recall involving lm-sensor, and that was the tip-off. Lesson learned: decide consciously and deliberately whether you want to re-format an existing partition or not; there's a time & place for both choices.

Comment

Working...
              X