Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

does kubuntu 9.10 use any gnome packages?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

does kubuntu 9.10 use any gnome packages?

does new kubuntu have any gnome dependencies

Re: does kubuntu 9.10 use any gnome packages?

I guess I cant get away from it when I install synaptic & gparted as my def install. I really miss adept 2

Cary
    The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 7859, registered Linux user 470405 Lenovo T510 Kubuntu Trusty 64bit, Intel Core i5-560M, 8 GB PC3-DDR3 SDRAM - 1067 MHz, NVIDIA NVS 3100m PCI Express, Wireless Centrino N 6300 My website http://www.qah.org.au

Comment

Not the Gnome but:

Package: kubuntu-desktop
      Recommends:...openoffice.org-calc, openoffice.org-impress, openoffice.org-math, openoffice.org-writer....
      =>
      Package: openoffice.org-calc
      Depends: openoffice.org-core....
      =>
      Package: openoffice.org-core
      Depends: ...libgtk2.0-0...

> 9.04 Releasenotes
      Recommended packages installed by default

In accordance with the Debian Policy Manual (which says "The 'Recommends' field should list packages that would be found together with this one in all but unusual installations"), the package management system now installs packages listed in the Recommends: field of other installed packages as well as Depends: by default. If you want to avoid this for specific packages, use apt-get --no-install-recommends; if you want to make this permanent, set APT::Install-Recommends "false"; in /etc/apt/apt.conf. Be aware that this may result in missing features in some programs.

(This change was made in Ubuntu 8.10.)
      Earlier > HardyRecommendsHandling

There has been a blueprint/plan to drop the OpenOffice from the installation CD when the KOffice 2 is mature enough:

> Is KOffice ready to replace OpenOffice.org in Kubuntu?
      > Topic: KOffice on Install
      Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
      1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
      2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

I've been running Karmic (ALPHA3) all day on this notebook, just to check it out.

I specifically checked to see if MONO was installed. It was not. I didn't see much of GNOME, either.

BUT, I wanted to use Synaptic instead of kpackagekit. It required a BUNCH of gtk+ utiliteis.

I installed Ekiga and it brought down a bunch of gkt+ utilties. So did Cheese. So, for several of the good applications like Synaptic, Cheese, GStreamer, etc..., you will have to install most of GNOME. If GNOME becomes dependent on MONO then so will Kubuntu, IF no alternative replacements using Qt for Synaptic and the others are found. Scary thought.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
        X