This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long delay on GRUB loading

Hi Folks. Has anybody else got this minor inconvenience.
    I have Jaunty on sda (hd0) and Karmic Alpha 6 on sdb (both are 160Gb sata drives).
    If I install grub2 on hd0,0 using the Karmic Alpha6 CD the system boots fine and provides all the choices, BUT, on booting, immediately after the BIOS checks I get a blank screen with just the simple message "GRUB loading" at top left. Also a winking cursor.
    Nothing happens for about 30 to 35 seconds (no response to keyboard) then the system boots up into the menu screen, and then all is well.
    Why the long delay? Any ideas?

Re: Long delay on GRUB loading

Not sure, but there is a known issue (like this) when there are two hard drives. Apparently, it will be fixed. See Posts #11 & #12 here:
    http://forums.hardwareguys.com/ikonb...7224;&#top
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by PhilT

If I install grub2 on hd0,0

Any ideas?
      There is no partition 0 with Grub 2 -- dunno it that is relevant to the problem.

Comment

dibl, you are right! I confused myself with disk naming! :P
        What happened was, I just allowed the new Karmic installation to install grub(2?) into the MBR of sda and over-write the grub installation from the earlier Jaunty installation which has its root in sda1; But the Karmic installation is on sdb5 so maybe the problem indicated by Qqmike - i.e. some grub confusion - is the reason?
        It's really not a show-stopper and if its a known bug (as suggested) which will be cleared up, then I'll just happily wait, becasue after all, its an Alpha release!
        Or, I could, and probably will, re-install grub from Jaunty to hd0,0; but that means messing with menu.lst boot stanzas.
        Isn't Kubuntu fun!

Comment

Working...
        X