This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep losing video driver (solved)

I've been running Kubuntu 9.10 since it was new but a problem has developed. Almost every boot, I lose my video driver. It goes back to 640X480. Then I must go to System/Hardware drivers and select one of the nvidia drivers and re-install it. The driver shows "in use" but the only way to fix this is to remove it and either reactivate it or install another driver version. I then reboot and all is fine until the next time I reboot.

I'm shying away from the newest "recommended" driver as it has always caused a problem.

Any sugguestions?
    Dell Inspiron 531/AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ 4GB RAM/GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
    Kubuntu 16.04
    "I have a problem with the fact that they just make really 3rd rate products." Steve Jobs on Microsoft. From “Triumph of the Nerds"

Re: Keep losing video driver

Have you tride to edite the xorg.conf file. From reading your post the problem sounds like xorg is failing in autodetecting your propper driver during boot.

To open and edit the file use this comand "sudo kate /etc/X11/xorg.conf "

There should be a feild that looks somthing like the one below.

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Nvidia"
    Driver "nvidia"
    entries
    EndSection

Also the nvidia driver does include a setings program for more advanced settings.

Comment

Re: Keep losing video driver (Solved)

Thanks but after some trial and error I think I found the problem. I recently installed a KVM switch. It seems that my display is ok if I have the KVM switch set to my Kubuntu desktop computer while booting. However if I am on another computer on my KVM switch, power on my Kubuntu desktop, then switch my KVM over to it my display resolution is low.
      Dell Inspiron 531/AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ 4GB RAM/GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
      Kubuntu 16.04
      "I have a problem with the fact that they just make really 3rd rate products." Steve Jobs on Microsoft. From “Triumph of the Nerds"

Comment

Working...
      X