• Show
Clear All

Can't overwrite xconfig file from Nvidia X Server Settings

I've tried something I learned from OpenSuse which is to type in one line:
    su -
    (then enter password when prompted)
    nvidia-xconfig
    nvidia-settings

However, when I try "su -" here I get an error "authentication failure" after entering my password. Yet I have run other sudo commands with that password with success.

I have also tried;
    sudo nvidia-xconfig, but that should have prompted me for my password and changed the xconfig file into a backup file after asking me for my password, but it is not asking. And then I should type "sudo nvidia-settings" but since "nvidia-xconfig" didn't do anything I still can't overwrite the xconfig file.

Now here's the really bizzare part. I had installed Kubuntu 9.10 and installed the most recent Nvidia driver 185. And I was able to get "sudo Nvidia-xconfig" to work and so did "Nvidia-settings". But the same thing happened here as did on OpenSuse which is when trying to enable a dual screen with dual Nvidia cards the Kubuntu boots into Bash and I can't get out of it. In OpenSuse I could go into failsafe mode and fix it and try again, but here I had to reinstall. I had tried driver 173 on Ubuntu with sucess on the dual screen, so I am trying that now here.

Re: Can't overwrite xconfig file from Nvidia X Server Settings

Code:
    sudo su -
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yes, that worked, per se, as it changed me into the root. However, I still am unable to change the xconfig settings so that I can save my x server settings in the nvidia screen. However, prior to using sudo su -, I was able to at least run nvidia-settings without problem (except for not being able to parse the xconfig file). Now I can't run it at all.

Here is what happened;

[font=Verdana]bryan@Kubuntu:~$ sudo su -
      root@Kubuntu:~# nvidia-xconfig
      root@Kubuntu:~# nvidia-settings

ERROR: The control display is undefined; please run `nvidia-settings --help`
      for usage information.

root@Kubuntu:~# sudo nvidia-xconfig
      root@Kubuntu:~# sudo nvidia-settings

ERROR: The control display is undefined; please run `nvidia-settings --help`
      for usage information.

Comment

try
        kdesudo nvidia-settings
        FKA: tanderson

Comment

That did something. It asked me for my password but did nothing to the xconfig file and I still can't parse it from Nvidia Settings.

Comment

Originally posted by chunnel
            I still can't parse it from Nvidia Settings.
            And you never will. nvidia-settings is not a file-parser.

From the KDE desktop, you should be able to do Alt-F2, and enter "kdesudo nvidia-settings" and have the settings utility pop up for you to use. Select "X Display Configuration" and you can set the screen resolution. I recommend you leave the refresh set to "Auto" -- it will intelligently choose the optimum refresh rate (by task).

Other settings might be overclocking, if you have enabled that option. There are not a lot of other user changed settings -- a couple of things in the power scheme, if your card supports that.

To make your selections permanent, click the "Save to X Configuration File" button in the lower right corner of the utility.

If it doesn't work approximately as described above, your driver installation may be incomplete or something. We'll need more details to understand anything like that.

Comment

I guess I haven't properly explained what I mean. When I say I can't parse the file, I'm talking specifically about the fact that I cannot save the X Configuration File. That is when I get the error message that I can't parse the xconfig file. ie, I can't save the settings. There is a fix for this out there, which is what I described above. But for some reason it isn't working here. I can't get enough access to run Nvidia-xconfig in order to erase the xconfig file and allow me to create a new one from Nvidia-settings. Hope that explanation is better.

Comment

you should very simpily be able to run 'kdesudo nvidia-settings' and save to the xorg.conf, you could always try deleting the file w/ rm and then running nvidia-xconfig might start you off with a fresh config. if that fails well then what permission are on your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file ?
                Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

It sounds like something is messed up on the system. When you use "kdesudo" it is supposed to convey root privleges to the following command "nvidia-settings". Either that is not happening, or else there's some problem in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file itself.

If it were my system, I think I would Ctrl-Alt-F1 and exit the X server. Then issue
                  Code:
                  sudo service kdm stop
                  to shut down the X server.

Now, at the CLI you should be able to issue
                  Code:
                  sudo nvidia-xconfig
                  and have it overwrite the xorg.conf file with a new one. When it is done, you can restart the X server with
                  Code:
                  sudo service kdm start
                  Now you should be able to log in to the gui, and do Alt-F2 "kdesudo nvidia-settings" and adjust things and then click "Save to X Configuration File" and it should save it.

If that doesn't work, it's probably time to reinstall the Nvidia driver:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3107406.0

Comment

Ok,

Tried what dibl suggested. No joy. Can't get xconfig to run successfully. I know what it should do and it's doing nothing, just displaying a new input line. I will take a look at the reinstallation but am hoping this is easily fixable.

In regard to what sithlord48 is suggesting, I'm too new to fully understand what you are saying. Can you give me more info?

Comment

dibl,

I took a look at the installation page and figure since I know the 185 driver disables the system on both OpenSuse and Kubuntu when trying enable dual screens, I'm not going to upgrade to that. So my option is the older 173 driver which I know has problems writing the configuration settings or trying the 195 driver from nvidia. I'm willing to try that but since I'm still new, but learning quickly, I don't understand some of these command line prompts. The page you linked to shows the following;

Open Adept or Synaptic, or use apt-get, and remove --purge linux-restricted-modules-`uname -r`
                      - Remove any and all packages beginning with "nvidia-..." (see command line below) *
                      - Use your editor in root mode to open the file /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules-common, and on the last line where it says

DISABLED_MODULES=""

insert "nv" between the quote marks, so it reads:

DISABLED_MODULES="nv"

and save it.

I downloaded and installed Synaptic, but have no idea what "remove --purge linux-restricted-modules-`uname -r`" means. Nor do I know what "Use your editor in root mode" means. Is that the terminal? If so, I have no idea how to remove a file when in the terminal mode.

Comment

Which Nvidia GPU do you have there?

OK I will expand a little on my slightly high-level guidance:
                        Open Adept or Synaptic, or use apt-get, and remove --purge linux-restricted-modules-`uname -r`
                        That means you can do it either of two ways:

1. Open synaptic, scroll down to the package named "linux-restricted-modules-{number of your running kernel here}" and mark it for "complete removal", then click "Apply" to remove it.

or

2. Open the Konsole and issue the command
                        Code:
                        sudo apt-get remove --purge linux-restricted-modules-`uname -r`

- Remove any and all packages beginning with "nvidia-..." (see command line below) *
                        This means read down to the * and do that, at the filesystem root "/" which looks like chunnel@yourputer:/$ prompt.

- Use your editor in root mode to open the file /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules-common
                        This means do Alt-F2 "kdesudo kate /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules-common" with no quote marks, and do the edit as shown. Then do "File > Save" to save the edit, and close kate.

Comment

i was saying that if you remove the xorg.conf file, manually (when x is not running see dibl's post under my last post)
                          then run the nvidia-xconfig tool it should create a new xorg.conf file w/ the default permissions. do this as a last resort.
                          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
                          X