Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gwenview doesn't work; are there any decent alternatives?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gwenview doesn't work; are there any decent alternatives?

Gwenview has this irritating bug: when you browse photos and goes forwards by using the 'next' key, it actually jumps forwards and backwards; and all around the place really. And when you go back to the the browser window, it has re-sorted the latest viewed images randomly! Hm! I think this is pretty bad considering that this bug is so apparent and should just not have been there!

Are there any other decent alternatives out in the repository to view, browse and organize photos?

I'm starting to reach the end of the rope here regarding patience towards Linux; I've never experienced so many problems and bugs before; *sigh*

Re: Gwenview doesn't work; are there any decent alternatives?

Gwenview alternatives for Linux

XNView is very good.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

> Linux Inage Viewers

>> KPhotoAlbum - KDE Photo Album

Earlier > Topic: (solved)Can't install Digikam & Kphotoalbum together

Alessandro Ghersi has backported it from the Kubuntu 9.10 to the 9.04 > Show PPAs matching: kphotoalbum

Using the PPA > FAQ: Repositories >> Using the PPA repositories

Other options:

> Package: kuickshow
      KDE image/slideshow viewer

KuickShow is an image browser/viewer with a nice filebrowser to select images to be shown, slideshow support and the ability to display the following image formats: jpg, gif, tiff, png, bmp, psd, xpm, xbm, pbm and eim. Images can be displayed either in their own window, as large as the image, or fullscreen (which shrinks images too large to display). KuickShow also has a slideshow mode.
      KDE4 version (kuickshow-kde4) > Topic: kuickshow library missing

The KDE-Apps has more > Graphic Viewers
      Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
      1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
      2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Originally posted by viking_maniac
        Gwenview has this irritating bug: when you browse photos and goes forwards by using the 'next' key, it actually jumps forwards and backwards; and all around the place really. And when you go back to the the browser window, it has re-sorted the latest viewed images randomly! Hm! I think this is pretty bad considering that this bug is so apparent and should just not have been there!
        Can't replicate the issue on my machine (gwenview 2.3.3, KDE 4.3.3).

So either:
        a. It has been fixed (in a newer version of gwenview)
        b. It's a local configuration issue
        c. I couldn't follow the your steps exactly to replicate the bug

Comment

You can probably contact Aurelien Gateau for this bug, see his blog @ http://agateau.wordpress.com/

A.

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
            Can't replicate the issue on my machine (gwenview 2.3.3, KDE 4.3.3).

So either:
            a. It has been fixed (in a newer version of gwenview)
            b. It's a local configuration issue
            c. I couldn't follow the your steps exactly to replicate the bug
            It's Gwenview 2.3.2 on KDE 4.3.2 (default Kubuntu installation; and I don't know how to upgrade Gwenview nor KDE).

It happens when several photos inside one folder is sorted by date in Gwenview, and the photos have a very narrow time difference like stored/modified within less than a minute. When I then go "next" or "previous", it's chooses pictures like randomly.

I installed the Gnome gThumb from the repositories, along with a truckload of other files which came with it, and that program worked fine regarding this issue.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! I'll check them out!

Cheers!

Comment

It's Gwenview 2.3.2 on KDE 4.3.2 (default Kubuntu installation; and I don't know how to upgrade Gwenview nor KDE).
                AFAIK, KDE 4.3.3 isn't available for jaunty (at least for now), and it probably isn't worth it to upgrade to karmic for this issue alone, especially if you have already found an image viewer you like to use, but probably worth checking again when you eventually upgrade to a later version.

It happens when several photos inside one folder is sorted by date in Gwenview, and the photos have a very narrow time difference like stored/modified within less than a minute. When I then go "next" or "previous", it's chooses pictures like randomly.
                I still couldn't reproduce the behaviour, but that doesn't mean it isn't a valid issue (there could be something different in the folder/images I browsed...although I chose a directory with images that have the same timestamp).

Comment

I look at a lot of photos, Konqueror is by far the best. It does what I expect, and it does it right away - even on a computer with limited graphics capability. To me nothing else comes close.

Comment

AFAIK, KDE 4.3.3 isn't available for jaunty (at least for now), and it probably isn't worth it to upgrade to karmic for this issue alone, especially if you have already found an image viewer you like to use, but probably worth checking again when you eventually upgrade to a later version.
                    I do have Kubuntu 9.10.

Comment

Originally posted by Ole Juul
                      I look at a lot of photos, Konqueror is by far the best. It does what I expect, and it does it right away - even on a computer with limited graphics capability. To me nothing else comes close.
                      Isn't that a web browser?

Comment

Konqueror can also be used as a File Manager.
                        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                          Konqueror can also be used as a File Manager.
                          Ok, nice!

I tried it, but I didn't manage to make it browse photos like when you open an image and go immaterially to the next and previous one ...

Comment

Click on the image you want to see first. After that you will see two little blue arrow heads in the top left. One is for "Next Image", the other for "Previous Image". By clicking on either of those, the user can decide exactly when to change images and which direction in the list to go. To me "user led" viewing is one of Konqeoror's strongest points.

Comment

I do have Kubuntu 9.10.
                              Oh, I took you were on Jaunty since you posted on the Jaunty forum.

If you wish to try KDE 4.3.3 (even if it doesn't fix this issue, it has a number of other bugfixes), it's available from kubuntu ppa repository (do note that ppas are not officially supported):
                              http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-4.3.3

You can add the repository (in karmic) with the command:
                              Code:
                              sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/ppa

Comment

Working...
                              X