This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[resolved] Compiz & Emerald with K-Desktop question

I just recently installed compiz & emerald. Everything was working great & looking magnificent, however, when I restarted my pc, the desktop was changed to gnome. >

I was enjoying my KDE-4 desktop & did not want to use gnome. Is it possible for me to have compiz, emerald & my KDE desktop? I'm not sure how to switch back to KDE environment without stopping compiz.

Is this possible? If so, can any of you guys help me get back to compiz w/ KDE instead of gnome? The setup that was enabled before I restarted my pc was magnificent.

Both the sphere & cube are working flawlessly. Looking marvellous they are! 8) But I NEED to keep my KDE desktop.
    System<br />HP Pavilion 061 with dual boot,&nbsp; Kubuntu Lucid 10.04 &amp; Windows XP Professional SP3<br />model#: PU061AV<br />X-86 based PC<br />AMD Athlon 64 processor 3200+1.79GHz<br />2 GB of RAM<br />Video:NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (dedicated)<br />hard drive: Maxtor 6Y080M0, 60GB

Re: Compiz &amp; Emerald with K-Desktop question

Originally posted by bhamm77

however, when I restarted my pc, the desktop was changed to gnome. >

The Gnome desktop does not just fall out of a tree onto your computer.

There must be a LOT more to this story .....

However,

Code:
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall kubuntu-desktop
    may get you back to KDE.

Actually, you may also need

Code:
    sudo apt-get install kdebase-bin kdebase-data kdebase-plasma kdebase-runtime kdebase-workspace-bin kdebase-workspace-data

Comment

Originally posted by bhamm77
      Both the sphere & cube are working flawlessly. Looking marvellous they are! 8) But I NEED to keep my KDE desktop.
      With just plain KDE I can get the cube working, as well as snow and other items. I haven't used compiz since I started using KDE4.

Mike
      http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

There must be a LOT more to this story .....
        Yes, yes. AWN (Avant Window Navigator). I also installed AWN, which pulled in Gnome. But after installation of AWN, I was still running KDE4. Only after the restart did I have issues.

The Gnome desktop does not just fall out of a tree onto your computer.

dibl,
        You are right. I pulled it out of a repository! I could see it in the included packages when installing AWN. I just figured that AWN needed some packages that were in the gnome desktop.

**Here is what has happened since.**
        I found that nothing was wrong with my KDE4 desktop. When I rebooted, the login process started a gnome session rather than the usual KDE session. What I did not understand or see (at that particular moment), but later discovered, was that I coild reset the login to start a KDE session rather than a gnome session.

**Here is where I stand now.**
        I can run either a KDE session or gnome session right now. So I have compiz & emerald working in gnome, where the Sphere & Cube are looking marvelous once again I have unistalled AWN.

I am letting the KDE manager run in the KDE session. At least until I am fully understanding all of the compiz & emerald features vs. kde. I must say I like them both as of right now.

Sorry that I did not give a full enough description at 1st. You guy's have always helped me out tremendously. Thanks alot!!! I'm proud to say that 95% of my posts have (solved) in the title because of the great help on this forum.

I will be marking this one solved as well.
        System<br />HP Pavilion 061 with dual boot,&nbsp; Kubuntu Lucid 10.04 &amp; Windows XP Professional SP3<br />model#: PU061AV<br />X-86 based PC<br />AMD Athlon 64 processor 3200+1.79GHz<br />2 GB of RAM<br />Video:NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (dedicated)<br />hard drive: Maxtor 6Y080M0, 60GB

Comment

Working...
        X