This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheese is useless in this version of Kubuntu/KDE

Yes, it's me again, with another problem since the upgrade to Jaunty Jackalope and KDE4.

My new problem is that I tried to use Cheese to take some pictures with my webcam, but the program seems to be useless now!!!

Here's the detailed info:

When I start up Cheese, everything shows fine, even the light of my webcam is turned on, and then I have a nice image with good resolution of what the webcam is "looking at". Everything perfect so far.

Problem 1: Taking Pictures.

I make sure that the "Photo" mode is selected and then I click on the "Take a photo" button.

The countdown comes up, and when it reaches zero, the entire screen flashes while I hear the "camera click" sound. So far, so good.

But here's the problem...

The pictures that I took are supposed to appear in the box below the "Photo", "Video", etc buttons (well, it worked that way in KDE3).

But the box is empty! It seems like Cheese just makes you think it took a picture, but it didn't.

Problem 2: Recording Video.

I make sure that the "Video" mode is selected and then I click on the "Start recording" button.

This one fails instantly.

After pressing the button, the webcam image disappears (just leaving a black screen inside Cheese) and my webcam light is turned off.

And even though the "Stop recording" button becomes active, pushing it will freeze Cheese (the application becomes completely unresponsive) and I have to kill it.

A webcam booth application that cannot take pictures or record video is completely useless... don't you think so?

I hope someone has an idea of what's happening. Thanks in advance.

Re: Cheese is useless in this version of Kubuntu/KDE

Please update Cheese to this version (the newest for stable releases) and check if the problem still exists.

http://sites.google.com/site/ubukunt...6.3-1_i386.deb
    Most important laptop specs (this is my main computer, with Kubuntu on it):<br /><br />4096MB RAM (DDR2)<br />500GB Hard Disk<br />ATI Mobility Radeon 4570HD Videocard with 512MB GDDR3 RAM, up to 2280MB VRAM<br />Intel® Core™ 2 Duo-processor T6600<br /><br />OS: Kubuntu 10.10

Comment

Hello! Thanks for the answer and sorry for not being here to try the solution, I was on a work trip... But here I am again ^w^

I try installing the .deb file with KPackageKit but I cannot do it, I know there is another way to do it with the Konsole, but I can't remember. Can you help me?

What KPackageKit displays is the most detailed error message ever:
      Code:
      Sorry, an error occurred
      EDIT: I was able to install Cheese with GDebi package installer and it mostly works!

I can now take pictures and copy them to my hard drive!

The "capture video" option is still not working, still freezes cheese... but we're almost there!

In addition, for some reason Cheese's icon on the K menu disappeared, it shows up as a paper sheet with a "?" on it, is there a way I can restore it's original icon?

Comment

What's weird in my situation is that Cheese will take pictures, but it won't show the live feed from the webcam. It takes the first frame and freezes that until you switch to Effects and back, when it once again takes the first frame and freezes. But it'll take photos, you just can't see what you're capturing.

Oh, guess I should say I just moved to 9.10 from 8.04 two days ago. My hardware is old, CPU and webam, but worked fine with 8.04. Specs if they're useful...
        Kubuntu #19517 (but of course I am not a number, I am a free man!)

Comment

Originally posted by hypersk
          In addition, for some reason Cheese's icon on the K menu disappeared, it shows up as a paper sheet with a "?" on it, is there a way I can restore it's original icon?
          Right-click on the K button and select Menu Editor
          Navigate to the section that contains Cheese and click once on the entry. Click on the question mark paper icon and you will be allowed to select another icon. Click on the desired new icon and then click on Save on the menu bar.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
          X