This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

software update?

when I hover over the cog thing for the software updates in the system tray, it says "8 software updates are available".
    however when I click on it and bring up the software updates application (and refresh the package cache) the only updates it reports are 4 blocked updates.
    1. why does the hover report 8 available updates and the application report 4 blocked updates?
    2. is it possible to make the blocked updates disappear?
    thanks
    Neil

Re: software update?

I use Synaptic (Reload - Mark All Upgrades - Apply) for that for several months. I think who likes GUI uses Synaptic, who likes shell uses apt-get.
    1. why does the hover report 8 available updates and the application report 4 blocked updates?
    I found that blocked updates of a new kernel are useful in some cases and maybe are not an error of KPackagekit. When you have compiled drivers by yourself and run a kernel update, you must compile again. So sometimes is better to wait with kernel updates and let them blocked.
    Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

Originally posted by josefko
      I use Synaptic (Reload - Mark All Upgrades - Apply) for that for several months. I think who likes GUI uses Synaptic, who likes shell uses apt-get.
      where can i find Synaptic in kubuntu 9.04?

Comment

where can i find Synaptic in kubuntu 9.04?
        Code:
        sudo apt-get install synaptic
        should do it.
        HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
          Code:
          sudo apt-get install synaptic
          should do it.
          awesome, thanks Fintan!

Comment

Glad to of help
            enjoy
            HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
            4 GB Ram
            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Why not use Adept? Adept was the default package manager in Kubuntu before 9.04 and works great When you go to Changes and click on the Upgrade button, Adept also wants to install the blocked updates

Also, you can use the Terminal to do it:

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
              Most important laptop specs (this is my main computer, with Kubuntu on it):<br /><br />4096MB RAM (DDR2)<br />500GB Hard Disk<br />ATI Mobility Radeon 4570HD Videocard with 512MB GDDR3 RAM, up to 2280MB VRAM<br />Intel® Core™ 2 Duo-processor T6600<br /><br />OS: Kubuntu 10.10

Comment

Adept also wants to install the blocked updates
                Why let blocked updates through? The updates are blocked for a reason, usually dependency issues, but sometimes because the updates will conflict or cause a regression with your current packages. Unless you want to live on the bleeding edge, wait until the updates are NOT blocked. Using apt-get dist-upgrade will force updating blocked packages and can very likely damage your installation.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus
                  Why not use Adept? Adept was the default package manager in Kubuntu before 9.04 and works great When you go to Changes and click on the Upgrade button, Adept also wants to install the blocked updates

Also, you can use the Terminal to do it:

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
                  how do you get adept? through "sudo apt-get install" too?

Comment

yes...

sudo apt-get install adept

should do it. I have synaptic and adept installed. I like adept because all the packages are in categories and you just put a check on it to install. Synaptic will fix broken packages for you. Both are pretty nice.
                    Oneiric 11.10 KDE Version 4.7.4<br />Duo core 1.8 Intel<br />4 gig ram<br />Nvidia Go 7300 Graphics<br />Dell E1505 Laptop<br /><br />I&#39;m a happy pappy with Linux on my lappy!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ezsit
                      Using apt-get dist-upgrade will force updating blocked packages and can very likely damage your installation.
                      Most of the time 'dist-upgrade' is needed to upgrade packages that require the installation of new packages as dependencies. Simple 'upgrade' won't upgrade these packages, ever. Using just 'upgrade' will lead to problems in the long run, as some packages will be held back forever.

There are cases when 'dist-upgrade' also wants to remove packages, and in these cases it's very good practice to check which packages will get removed and why. Often it's just because of changed dependencies which is fine, but sometimes (especially when many or key packages are getting removed) it's because the other packages are not yet adjusted to the change...which can lead to (even severe) problems.

In the last case one should not apply the "dist-upgrade" and wait until the dependencies get resolved, otherwise using it is safe (and even recommended).

Comment

Originally posted by eddieg780
                        I like adept because all the packages are in categories and you just put a check on it to install. Synaptic will fix broken packages for you. Both are pretty nice.
                        i used Synaptic to search n install SCIM/SKIM, n when i turned on Adept, noticed there are some missed out installation, clicked on those to install. now i have no idea how to setup my SCIM/SKIM. anyone have any idea how to setup SCIM/SKIM for other language's input? like chinese maybe?

Comment

Working...
                        X