X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kubuntu 9.04 : problem with video card Radeon X1650 Series

Hi guys,
    I have installed the 9.04 (Kernel 2.6.28-15). I have problem with the video card (Note: with 8.10, kernel 2.6.27.14 this video card works), I obtain a black screen and in addition the blocked system so I have to restart it any time.
    I have installed the right card drive "gflrx" with Envyng procedure (envyng -t) but the card doesn't work. I also tried with "vesa" driver but I had the same result, black screen.
    At last I tried the tool "xfix" (recovery mode boot ) to fix the file xorg.conf but the card still doesn't work.

My system:
    CPU: AMD Athlom 64x2 Dual CORE Processor 5600+ 2.90Ghz
    RAM: 3GB
    Video card: Radeon X1650 Series

Below the same reported error in the log file "Xorg.0.log" :
    -----------------
    ...etc
    (EE) No device detected
    FATAL server error
    no screens found
    ..etc
    -----------------

please could help me ??
    thanks

Dual-booting:<br />Kubuntu: Karmic Koala (Main OS)<br />Windows:Vista Home Premium<br />--------------------------------------------------------------<br />Sony Vaio&nbsp; VGN-NR21Z - 2 Duo processor T8100<br />Graphics nvidia GeForce 8400M GT GPU

Re: kubuntu 9.04 : problem with ATI video card

I am not an expert on video cards but I would suggest you provide at least some specs like:

the card version, video chip, cpu, ram, etc.

maybe changing the title to something like:
    issues with ati card version: xyz on Jaunty

The more information you give the easier it is for someone here to help.

We are not clairvoyant

at least I am not
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Re: kubuntu 9.04 : problem with ATI video card

perhaps you may find this post helpful

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3102748.0

make sure you know your cards model .... there are a few diffrent drivers for ati cards now.. and if you do get lost ... you can check out the ati linux driver wiki

http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Main_Page
      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Re: kubuntu 9.04 : problem with video card Radeon X1650 Series

I tried any suggestions but the card doesn't work; the error is the same (see the first topic).

Could this kernel (2.6.28.15) be unable to manage the card ATI Radeon X1650 ?

any help is wellcome.
        thanks
        Dual-booting:<br />Kubuntu: Karmic Koala (Main OS)<br />Windows:Vista Home Premium<br />--------------------------------------------------------------<br />Sony Vaio&nbsp; VGN-NR21Z - 2 Duo processor T8100<br />Graphics nvidia GeForce 8400M GT GPU

Comment

Originally posted by sandro54
          I think the trouble is Xorg and not the kernel. Since you have an R500 card you will have to stick to version 9.3 of the proprietary drivers. Newer ATI drivers (>=9.4) have dropped support for it. However, AFAIK Xorg 7.4 is only supported by the newer drivers.

Comment

oh, i didn't notice your kernel version... i accually installed that kernel version as an upgrade, and i would suggest you use a diffrent kernel to start with, my perfectly configured card with 2.6.28-14, yeilds a almost completly unuseable machine(in terms of Xorg) with the newer 2.6.28-15 kernel.
            Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
            (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by musta ruhtinas
              Originally posted by sandro54
              I think the trouble is Xorg and not the kernel. Since you have an R500 card you will have to stick to version 9.3 of the proprietary drivers. Newer ATI drivers (>=9.4) have dropped support for it. However, AFAIK Xorg 7.4 is only supported by the newer drivers.
              Catalyst 9.3 is compatible with kernels <2.6.29. There are some patches floating out there that enables one to use Catalyst 9.3 with >2.6.28, but last I saw they result in some pretty nasty bugs like high CPU spikes.

If you are simply dying to use fglrx in Jaunty, you can always downgrade xserver from 1.6.x to 1.5.x, install ATI's Catalyst 9.3 drivers and pin/hold those packages either in /etc/apt/preferences, synaptic or whichever program/gui you use to manage your packages. Here is the guide:

http://tan-com.com/posts/technology/...i-driver-issue

All I can say is that I have a Mobility Radeon x2300 (R500) chip and I'm running Catalyst 9.3 in Jaunty with KDE 4.3.0 installed (kernel: 2.6.28-15.49). 3D performance is fine, as I can run googleearth and play nexuiz flawlessly. Also, I can view send out video to my TV quite easily using Catalyst control center. TVOut support is flaky with the latest opensource drivers. Probably the reason why I stuck with Catalyst 9.3.

That said, I would recommend that anyone who tries to use this method be comfortable using the CLI if anything goes downhill. Definitely not for novices or the faint of heart!

Code:
              ~$ distro
              Linux o-toro 2.6.28-15-generic #49-Ubuntu SMP Tue Aug 18 19:25:34 UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux
              No LSB modules are available.
              Distributor ID: Ubuntu
              Description:  Ubuntu 9.04
              Release:    9.04
              Codename:    jaunty
              ~$ fglrxinfo
              Xlib: extension "Generic Event Extension" missing on display ":0.0".
              display: :0.0 screen: 0
              OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
              OpenGL renderer string: ATI Mobility Radeon X2300
              OpenGL version string: 2.1.8543 Release

Comment

Hi guys
                I'm annoying to do profs without any good results. I'm thinking to return at the kernel 2.6.27.14, with this the card works.

Please don't have any better suggestion ??

thanks

Comment

Working...
                X