X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Task manager - Show only tasks in current desktop kde 4.2.2

Anybody know how to set the kde 4.2.2 task manager widget to show only the
    tasks from the current desktop?

This was an option in kde3.x, but I can't find it in jaunty/kde4.

I usually have a number of tasks started and I keep them organized by
    desktop. Showing only the tasks for each desktop helps keep me focused
    on what I'm doing. If I'm working on shell scripts, I don't care that
    Firefox and Thunderbird are open on other desktops. And without this feature, tasks on the taskbar start to stack up and become harder to access.

TIA

Joe

kubuntu jaunty/Centrino Duo 1.66/kde 4.2.2
    kubuntu Xenial - Toshiba i3 and Toshiba i7 Notebooks

Re: Task manager - Show only tasks in current desktop kde 4.2.2

rite click the task bar and click task manager setings check the filter you want

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Thanks. I found it. But, it's almost impossible to get to.
      I had to place my mouse cursor exactly between two tasks before I right-clicked. Otherwise, it gave me a context menu for the task.

This seems to be a usability design problem. The taskbar needs some small place or handle (that's humanly visible) where right clicking, etc. refers to the taskbar itself and not just one of the tasks.

Joe

Comment

Task manager should occupy the whole available space on the panel, so you should be able to right-click on the empty space next to the active tasks to get to the settings.

I'm not big on "visible handles", but it would certainly make the settings more easily discoverable to have the task manager settings as a sub-menu in the individual tasks menu as well.

At least in KDE 4.3, getting to the task manager settings is slightly easier when the widgets are unlocked and the panel configuration bar is opened (you can right-click anywhere on the task manager to get to the settings)...it even shows little handle arrows when hovering over the widget (top-left of the widget), but that is too many steps for quick configuration.

Comment

The problem I had was that I had several applications open at once and it filled the whole task manager leaving nowhere visible to click on the task manager itself.

I just tried it now (after fixing it so that it only shows tasks from the current desktop) and, with only one task displayed, there was plenty of room to access the task manager itself. The problem is a special case when the task manager is full of tasks.

Your sub-menu suggestion would solve the problem elegantly with no additional clutter like the handles I suggested.

I'm not holding my breath for kde 4.3, because I'll have to wait until kubuntu adds it. Not adventurous enough to upgrade it on my own.

I'm waiting for 4.whatever (if and when) they figure out how to get kprinter working again if the qt people get the printing support resources they need to add the features that kprinter needs.

Thanks.

Joe

Comment

Working...
          X