This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Solved]Virtual Box ... erg?

Im trying to follow the instructions on the virtual box website to install VB 3.X

I added the source from the page and did this wget command...

wren@wren76:~$ wget -q http://download.virtualbox.org/virtu...n/sun_vbox.asc -O- | sudo apt-key add -
    OK
    Then tried to install it and got this error.

wren@wren76:~$ sudo apt-get install virtualbox-3.0
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Couldn't find package virtualbox-3.0
    Not sure what I am missing or doing wrong... here is he link to the page that has the instructions.

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

Re: Virtual Box ... erg?

It seems like you haven't added this to sources.list?

deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian jaunty non-free

If you did, you need to refresh the package list (either from Synaptic/whatever package manager, or from the command line with "sudo apt-get update".

Comment

You were right about the need to refresh the package list. I thought it did that already when I added the source and it asked about reloading..... guess not.

With the new Virtual box 3.x is there still that special add on guest cd that is required for better integration? Because I don't see any mention of it.

Comment

Originally posted by wrender
        With the new Virtual box 3.x is there still that special add on guest cd that is required for better integration? Because I don't see any mention of it.
        Yes - read the manual!!!
        Kubuntu 20.04(AMD64)/KDE 5

Comment

umm.... where do you see the iso to be downloaded on their website? I saw it in the manual but I dont see it anywhere under downloads unless I missed it.

Comment

Guest additions can be easily installed once you get your guest environment up and running. In the Virtualbox menu will be an option to install guest additions. You shouldn't have to download anything directly from their website. It's all done from within VB.

Comment

Yeah, it's pretty simple. It's under the devices menu. It will download the guest additions, mount the iso, so then you just install in your guest os and reboot. I just did this with vbox 3.0 using a test version of Karmic Koala and it works flawlessly.
              Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ... except the weasel.

Comment

Installed VB3 just to see if the claims of DirectX compatibility were true.

I installed my licensed copy of XP Pro as a guest OS. Everything ran very well. Then I downloaded and installed the latest version of Skype for Windows. I fired it up, logged in. Then I opened the options menu to set my audio and video. When I clicked the video test button the video screen came up black, then disappeared and VB3 locked up. I had to use the Skull & cross bones to kill it. When I tried to restart XP Pro it refused. The virtual HD was hosed. So, I removed VB3 and the XP Pro files.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I have read that guest additions need to be installed when XP is booted in safe mode:

http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19789

However I haven't tried this myself.
                  Kubuntu 20.04(AMD64)/KDE 5

Comment

Working...
                  X